Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-22-2007

sailbear50 is on a distinguished road
Cool Stainless stern arches worth it or not?

I have a 43 nelson / merek, all stern pulpit lost in hurricane, thinking of stern arch for dingy, radar,gps,wind gen, solar ,etc. Are these useful and advice on construction. Wells marine has a web site with it looks like some good designs. Too far from me and a lil costly. Thanks for any advice on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2007

wescarroll is on a distinguished road
I like the idea. I am looking into fabricating my own as a mount for antennas, radar, dinghy davits and such. A powerboat friend of mine gave ma an old teak swim platform which I mounted to my Oday 30 and am very pleased with. It gives most of the sugar scoop stern benefits, so maybe all of those powerboat ideas aren't useless after all..ouch that hurt.
Old 07-22-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I think the challenge is coming up with a design that a)suits the boat, b) gets everything you want done and c) doesn't break the bank.

Custom welded yacht-quality work doesn't come cheap but may be the only way to end up with something that truly adds to the appearance, function and value of the boat.
Old 07-22-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I am currently debating this. I want primarily an arch that can support solar panels and some nav/comm gear, and I want to mount bimini canvas (removable in the events of really heavy weather) to mount forward of this. My deck shade needs are pretty minimal, as I have a modest and partially sunken helm station...this arch need be no higher than about five feet off deck, as I would step down 18 inches to get under it.

My concerns about windage and disruption of the airflow that would make a windvane work were put to rest by my windvane maker (seriously...he makes only about 15 or 20 per year). He pointed out that the vane itself would be higher than the arch.

I have also seen interesting things in Ocean Voyager, where people mount reels of line on the arch uprights, so that in fjord-like anchorages, they can be run to the shore aft of the boat for the "spider-web" safety factor. In this case, the arch is simply taking the weight of the reel, not any strain, as the ends of the lines are cleated off to bollards. Seems that might be a good idea to stow stern anchor line and/or warps in certain cases: keep them on plastic reels (think a vertical flemished line) and simply slip them on an axle and take what you need.

My decision now is whether or not to go with stainless steel and clamps to the rails, or to weld galvanized pipe directly to load spreaders on the deck. Both have their advantages.
Old 07-24-2007

sailbear50 is on a distinguished road
Putting it together

Found a tubing notcher on the web,got a chop saw,found a hydraulic bender reasonable,polisher and coumpounds for stainless, a friend that is a detail weldere, Wells Marine web site for info on sizes and designs , gonna order the tube a kickoff. when finished we will post some photos. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Valiente-

You might want to re-think your shade needs. Up in Toronto, the amount of sun you get is far less than you would get down in the Caribbean, and every bit of shade helps. While a small bimini might be suitable for the Toronto conditions, you should probably plan the boat to handle the conditions you will see while on your cruise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-24-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Valiente-

You might want to re-think your shade needs. Up in Toronto, the amount of sun you get is far less than you would get down in the Caribbean, and every bit of shade helps. While a small bimini might be suitable for the Toronto conditions, you should probably plan the boat to handle the conditions you will see while on your cruise.
Actually, the design would use three 130 W solar panels as the first level of "shade", with awnings deployed front, back and both sides from beneath those panels. I suspect I will have them able to pivot to screen as needed. Think a canvas and SS tube version of a car's windscreen shade...enough to cast a decent shadow on the small working area on deck.

The cockpit itself is tiny: about 60 by 30 inches by 15 inches deep. The deck and the rail "benches" are not typically in use underway if there is any sort of wind as we are moving about working the boat.

If I had a bunch of people aboard for drinks and whatnot, I could easily suspend a white plastic tarp awning, as do the Pardeys, as there are plenty of vertical lashing points. Ideally, I want an arch to be strong enough to be permanently in place, but with the bimini elements to be collapsable or removable in terrible weather. Similarly, I would have the capacity to unmount the solar panels, leaving a stripped arch in place.

But thanks for thinking of my shade needs! Alex's boat, sailing at 37 degrees North close to the summer solstice, with no bimini, was an education. A good hat made all the difference, but I still got burned on the back of my legs because we were travelling SSE all day.
Old 07-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you thought it was bad at 37˚ North, think of June at 15˚ North..

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-24-2007
Banned

Rickm505 is on a distinguished road
I'm at N 28 and it's brutal in the afternoon. I've been using a Shadetree boat awning system which has worked very well until this last weekend when a microcell with >50 knot winds made short work of it. I've been reading this thread to get ideas as it's time for a sturdier solution to Florida sunshine.

My concern is in mounting the arch. I had very heavy davits mounted to the transom and they did enough damage that I removed them. The arch idea is great but seems to me that it needs to be tied into the boat structurally so that it not only looks good, but is fully intergrated. I'm not certain just how to do that.
Old 07-24-2007

US25 is on a distinguished road
They may be a little too light-duty, but I've always thought it would be possible to modify a ski boat tower to hold solar panels, radar, etc, (a dingy might be too heavy). You can pick one up for around $1000, and a decent welder could modify it for a few bucks more.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.