SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Roller Furling on a trailered boat?

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
I''ve looked longingly at the ease of roller furling the headsail, but since I launch from a trailer each day and store my boat at home. Since I have to take down the mast at the end of the day, what would I do with the sail and furling rig? Do I have to tie sail and furling rig to the (now horizontal) mast, or can I easily put the sail away in the cabin with or without the furling rig?

#2 ·
It will probably be easier to stow the furled sail with the mast. You need to detach the forestay to lower the mast anyway. Detaching the sail and R/F rig from the mast would be more hassle than having to fold the sail in the first place. To protect the jib on the road, however, you''ll likely need some sort of cover for it, which you could hoist over the furled jib with another halyard while the mast was still up.

#4 ·
I have the CDI roller furler on my 26ft.trailerable boat. It works great. When I''m going to trailer the boat, I drop the mast,and bundgy tie the roller furler and sail to it.This saves a lot of time when I reach my destination and am ready to rig the boat again.I recently added a mast raising system on my boat also.The system allows me to use my trailer winch to raise the mast.There are a lot of sites on the web with similar systems that others are using.I don''t trailer my boat a lot but am always looking for ways to reduce the amount of work involved.Less work = more sailing! ;^)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.