Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-24-2007
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
Stern-Tie Webbing Spool

I am looking for a source for an item that I have seen both live and in boating magazine ads, but can no longer find. It is a flat spool that mounts vertically on the side of the stern rail or "pushpit", and holds a few hundred feet of nylon webbing for use as a stern-tie in tight anchorages. The ones I have seen were about 2 feet in diameter by about 1.5 or 2 inches thick and had a fold-out crank for reeling back in.

Google comes-up with nothing but mention of a Swedish one on a boat's blog. Can anyone out there help me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We've seen them around too, and the obvious advantage is the small amount of space it takes for the same length of floating line.

But - man can these things every make a lot of noise! We had a good blow last summer at Newcastle Island and a couple of boats were rafted and stern tied ashore with said webbing. The wind was hard across their setup and the webbing started oscillating and whistling like a helicopter trying to run its rotors up to speed. It woke me up in the middle of the night several hundred yards away. I can only imagine what that sounded like resonating inside the boats.

So though I can see the advantage, based on that night I'll continue to use regular floating line!
Old 07-24-2007
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
You can buy a portable plastic garden hose reel at just about any hardware store for about $30. I have over 300' of "sampson line" with room to spare. That's the line that commercial crabbers use. I saw several other boats using plastic hose reels this summer although most are using a poly line.

I used to have some cheap poly braided line a a $7 plastic extension cord reel. It would only hold 150 feet though. I've seen the web reel in a magazine, but I haven't seen is used yet.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 07-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sequitur-

It is called an Ankarolina.

Personally, I would not recommend it...since the breaking strength of the largest size is only 7000 lbs., which is pretty low for an anchor line. I use a 5/8" anchor rope, and it has a breaking strength of 12,200 lbs., and is much more chafe resistant than the nylon webbing used in the Ankarolina. Yet, the advertising copy for the Ankarolina states:
Quote:
Ankarolina is a flat, polyester braid similar to a car seat belt. It is extremely durable and strong. Because it is so thin, you don't have to disconnect it from the anchor when not it use: just run it underneath the hatch cover.

With a breaking-strain of 5500 lbs., it has the same holding power as a 1" - 1.3" line. As you can see from the pictures, it requires much less space than the same amount of 1" rope!

BTW, if you want to stop a piece of webbing from howling under the force of the wind when it is under tension, you need to put about half-a-dozen twists in the webbing, and that will prevent it from making noise generally.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-24-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-24-2007
... a logical conclusion

Thanks SailingDog,

That's the one I've seen. I don't want it for an anchor line, but rather as a stern-tie ashore in some of the tight anchorages in this area.

For larger anchorages when I might need a stern anchor, I have an 18 kilogram Delta with 20 metres of 10mm high test and 75 metres of 16mm laid nylon. My primary anchor is a 40 kilogram Rocna and 100 metres of 10mm high test.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

Old 07-24-2007
... a logical conclusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
But - man can these things every make a lot of noise! We had a good blow last summer at Newcastle Island and a couple of boats were rafted and stern tied ashore with said webbing. The wind was hard across their setup and the webbing started oscillating and whistling like a helicopter trying to run its rotors up to speed. It woke me up in the middle of the night several hundred yards away. I can only imagine what that sounded like resonating inside the boats.
Sounds likethey forgot to put some twists in it to prevent the wind vibrations.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje