Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-25-2007
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Question Superfurl ?

I'm looking for a rollerfurling system and am checking one out called Superfurl. Its uses the existing forstay and you can use the jibs that are already with the boat. It looks pretty simple. Has anyone on sailnet had experience with this?
Old 07-25-2007

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Interesting site superfurl.com

No mention of furling/reefing so I don't think this can be used for reefing the headsail, but has the advantage of letting you use your existing full set of jib/genoa sails, and no going forward to drop the headsail.

Downside is that to change sail you will need to unfurl, so for reducing headsail with changing conditions will still require going forward and instead of hanking off and on the headsail, will require feeding slugs into a track.

Without the furling reefing feature, there appears to be only a minor advantage over the traditional hank on headsail.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Funny that this should come up. I just received an overnight package from them in todayís mail. It has a VHS tape and lots of information that I will look at tonight. I am also looking for people that have used the system to see how well this works.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 07-25-2007
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Smile Superfurl

I just got an e mail offering the same info and noticed a couple of older posts that wanted to know about the system. Surely there must be a number of people now familiar with it. I have a 30 Morgan Out Island and will never be too concerned with losing a track. I am happy with the comfort though.
Old 08-05-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
After looking very hard at Superfurl I have decided not to try one. The biggest reason is that nothing designed by man lasts forever and eventually everything needs parts or service. In the case of Superfurl I thing the use of steel bearings instead of the more common approach of using corrosion resistant bearings is a serious mistake. When the seals fail the bearing will rust and seize and almost certainly it will do this at the worst possible time with the sail half in during a sudden squall. The Hyde Steam Stay (long out of business) is a good example of this bearing design and the pitfalls that come with it.

The second reason is that I donít like to be on the bleeding edge of new technology. I canít find anybody who has used or even seen one of these unites. I donít buy anything for the boat without seeing it and handling it myself unless a very trusted friend has lots of experience with the identical unit.

Itís a shame that the builder selected this bearing because the concept has a lot going for it and I would use it in preference to systems that use luff tape because of the ease of using it single-handed. I think with the Superfurl you can load all the slugs and then host the sail without having the problem of feeding the tape into the slot as you host the sail using a conventional system.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

The usual disclaimers apply. The above is the authorís opinion and is largely of a speculative nature. Your mileage may vary. All product and company names used are owned by the trademark holders. Any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and any logic or reasonable thoughts are just accidental. Under the circumstances it appears that more sleep and/or caffeine are needed by the writer.
Old 09-04-2011
Bayfield 25 1974

hawkalot is on a distinguished road
superfurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesaila View Post
I'm looking for a rollerfurling system and am checking one out called Superfurl. Its uses the existing forstay and you can use the jibs that are already with the boat. It looks pretty simple. Has anyone on sailnet had experience with this?
Crazy enough, but I found and excellent condition Superfurl system at Goodwill for 7$!! Worth the $ to take a risk and see I'd I can get it to work. Craftsmanship seems to be superb, with shackles made in France. No rusy or visible wear at all. I have a Bayfield 25 that I've put together and got rockin' just like this. Thinking outside of the box , and making the unworkable...workable. I will let you know. if you have any insight since you sent that message above, please share. Chuck
Old 09-04-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
There was a Superfurl installed on our Nor'Sea 27' when we bought her and we made a 9 month cruise and used it locally for years after. I only replaced it because I was able to buy a Furlex at cost.
I sold the Superfurl and installed it for the buyer on his Ericson 25'.
It was a great system.
The system was designed to use little slides that are hand sewn on where the hanks were, so if you can use a needle and palm, you can convert the sail yourself. You might want to have a sailmaker sew sacrificial cloth on it for you though.
Sounds like you got a heck of a deal.