Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007

GordonHawk is on a distinguished road
mast info needed for Grumman 8' Dinghy

Back intheearly 70's I went to the Marathon,NY boat yard where theymade the Grumman 8'Dinghy..dsigned I believe by Phillip Rhodes.. A few decades ago my mast was stolen.. for aluminum most likely.. I'd like to sail again.. but I can scarcely remember how it was rigged.. I need a mast height / layout... and perhaps boom info for this boat.. I've contacted a person in Marathon .. and he said there was no info there.. and he had never seen one... the company was sold a few times he said and each came in and took away what they wished.. I've contacted a big CT mast firm and they said they had no mast info on this boat.. I'm at a loss as to what to replace the old one with.. and what the new one might look like... I have the sail.. it is about 12' tall.. is there someone with an old brochure.. an old mast... the tracing of the mast hole in the front seat looks to have it be a 2"x2 1/4 " SECTION...Thanks ..Gordon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
It might be hard to find any original drawings or photos. The rigging for dinghies is pretty basic. If you can post pictures of the boat and the sail, we might be able to tell you what you need and how to set it up.
Old 07-25-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I believe that I have original literature on the Grumman dinghy. I had considered buying one for my first boat. As I recall Grumman made both an Aluminum Dinghy and also later marketed a glass one made by Pearson I believe. Is your boat glass or aluminum? If I have the literature and you send me your email address I should be able to scan and email you a copy or what I have.

Jeff
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
ckrahmer (05-22-2014)
Old 07-25-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Gordon,
If you have the sail why not sit in the boat and have someone measure how high the boom needs to be if itís going to clear your head and then call Dwyer Aluminum Mast Co in CN and talk to them. You will know the height because the sails leach plus the clearance for the boom height is known and you know the size of the hole in the seat for the mast. You also know how long the boom needs to be because you know the length of the foot so donít you have everything you need to figure this out? Dwyer can tell you how much you need to add for the clearance at the top and the end of the boom.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 07-25-2007

GordonHawk is on a distinguished road
Thanks Jeff.. looking foward to seeing the info

YesRobert...I was about to makeit up.. I'd called Dwyer ..and was suprised to hear they didn't have mast info on just anything that was made in production.. .. I can about figure everything you mentioned .. I don't think there was full clearance below the boom for those seated... it's been 25 years or better since it has felt sail..
Phillip Rhodes did a grand bit of work designing this dinghy and I would like to start any improvments with his great base.. thanks for the help... when I get a good design.. I'll surely be calling Dwyer again... to make it up for me..
Gordon
Old 05-10-2009

JEFFBBAY is on a distinguished road
Grumman Sailing Dinghy

I Have A Complete Original Sailing Dinghy,looking To Find Out What It Is Worth And Sell It
Imafrayedknot likes this.
Old 06-22-2009

VintageAluminum is on a distinguished road
Grumman Sailing Dinghy

If you still have the dinghy, I am interested.

These have gotten a bit of a cult following--a small group of crazy's out there who want what's no longer made and is in short supply!

I would suggest a fair price would be what a new, high quality similar unit would go for and use that as a starting point. I don't know of anyone building aluminum dinghy's...I think Grumman still makes a sailing rig for one of their canoes, so that might be a frame of reference.

I know some about old high quality aluminum runabouts that have a similar following. (Sorry...I know sailors and powerboaters typically don't mix so no quips about that!). Lesser quality, non-complete units bring $500-1,000 and complete units of high quality bring up to $2,000. In excellent condition with good wood and nice sail, mast and rigging I think you have a pretty unique setup.

Let me know via private reply if still available.

VintageAluminum
Old 07-02-2009

nacrazc is on a distinguished road
Grumman sailing dinghy

Wow, when it rains, it pours.... I too am about to sell my Grumman dinghy and was looking for a realistic asking price. It was totally re-done last year, the entire hull epoxy primed and painted with awlgrip.... replaced all the fasteners with original aircraft high temp lock nuts and stainless screws, new high density keel. Gunter rig is still mill finished and sails are a 4 on a 10 scale, all original.... and sails great with my son and I aboard at 270lbs total..... just getting a bit crowded now that he is getting older. Need to upgrade to a bigger boat for him to learn in.

Guess I can't post my email address here, so will have to get a couple other posts in .

Zach
Attached Thumbnails
mast info needed for Grumman 8' Dinghy-2008_07290022.jpg   mast info needed for Grumman 8' Dinghy-img_0192-40.jpg   mast info needed for Grumman 8' Dinghy-2008_07290010.jpg  
Old 07-02-2009

nacrazc is on a distinguished road
Gordon,
If your still out there, I will be happy to take pics and measurements for you if you still need to fab a rig for your dighy...

Zach
Old 07-03-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
That is a really cool dinghy. I do see the size issue though. Even solo, I'm getting too old to scramble around the bottom of a dinghy.