Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-25-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Looking for ( and don't laugh )

Looking for Ratlines ( or Rattlin's ) for our boat, does anybody know of a outfit that carries this kind of a mast ladder

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Tale a look in this previous thread.......
Ratlines

Yachtvahala used to be very active on these boards, We have not heard from him in awhile.
He has them on his boat.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-25-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Poopdeck, we would never laugh at you. THis is Sailnet after all.

(smile, not laugh)

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-25-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Itís not a stock item but its something you make to fit the boat. For the most part they are not very useful and with the small diameter used for standing rigging on most boats they are hard to install. You also have the issue of how rigging is prepared on boats that use them and most small boats donít treat there rigging with the same coating, serving and parceling, and that is what holds ratlines in place.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 07-25-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan34C View Post
Itís not a stock item but its something you make to fit the boat.

Well, that sux, Maybe I can have these made then, I was thinking maybe having the ratlines made completely out of something 1/2 spunflex ( 3 verts and the rungs ) and then utilize the chainplates and shrouds for support from twisting to much, my shrouds are 5/16th

hell, I don't know

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 07-25-2007

There was a time when you needed to go aloft frequently and hand a sail or do some other work in the rigging. Nowadays its easer to go up using a bosonís chair for the rare occasions when you need to do maintenance aloft. How often and how high are you planning to go?

I saw a boat that had wood ratlines going up about fifteen feet. It looked very nice and was a workable way to do this. But I never did understand why he wanted to only go part way up. He drilled the ends of wood slats the same size as his shrouds then cut a slot to the hole. After sliding the wood up the wire he used a bolt to clamp the two sides together and grip the wire. Of course he did this before he put the bottom swage on the wire.

The traditional way was to worm parcel and serve the rigging. This gave it a surface that protected the wire and gave you a rough enough surface to be able to fasten the spliced ends of the ratlines to the wire using marline. Stainless wire wouldnít like this treatment so you have a hard time fastening the rope ratlines to the wire without damaging the wire.

If you donít mind me asking, why do you want to do this?
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 07-25-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Have you guys checked out the thread from last year.
Its good reading. The purpose from another sailnetter was to be able to see coral reefs. He used his to get as high as the spreaders for a better obsevation of the waters he was in.

http://yachtvalhalla.net/projects/ratlines/ratlines.htm

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-25-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Have you guys checked out the thread from last year.

Of course that’s why you want to go up, coral. That’s a well thought out plan, but I would be nervous about it slipping on the wire and of course do you get hidden corrosion under the polysulfide. I have not yet seen a really great way to do this. Maybe there is no great way and you need to pick the best of the available solutions. Thanks for the link.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 07-25-2007
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
You can seize rat-lines or rat-boards strait to the shrouds. You just wrap a little parceling tape around the shroud before you tie on the rat-line. To make a rat-line you take a piece of line and splice a loop in each end. It should be about a couple of inches short of where it is supposed to go, then you seize it to the shrouds. Its better to used prestretched line but when you seize the rat-line you can tighten it up. The reason you make it a bit short, is so you can cut it lose and re-seize tight when it stretches.

If your going to try to make rat-board, you can seize them on as well. Make them out of true 1"x 2" teak or mahogany. Make two vertical slits about 3/16x 1/2". you can them seize these on.

Their not really hard to do, just time consuming. New England style goes up one side of each mast. Traditional goes up both sides. They're handy once you have them.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Old 07-25-2007

Mostly just for the appearence of Old classic, but, it must be functional, if we want or needed to go up as far as the spreaders for any reason; any higher and I would use our boson's seat.

Also, I wouldn't be unlike me or my son to climb up just to dive in

Sailortjk1, I did read that and it was good info, and I appologies for not acknowledging sooner

Thank you

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 07-25-2007 at 07:20 PM.