Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-26-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The smallest SHARP microwave DRAWS 1100 watts...or 91 AMPS (plus conversion losses....so lets call it 100) from your batteries during operation. If you have an inverter that can handle this, the damage to your battery bank is relatively minor 16 amps/hours for 10 minutes use. Microwaves typically do not like cheap inverters...get a sine wave or GOOD modified sine wave inverter if you want to run one off your batteries.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
The smallest SHARP microwave DRAWS 1100 watts...or 91 AMPS (plus conversion losses....so lets call it 100) from your batteries during operation. If you have an inverter that can handle this, the damage to your battery bank is relatively minor 16 amps/hours for 10 minutes use. Microwaves typically do not like cheap inverters...get a sine wave or GOOD modified sine wave inverter if you want to run one off your batteries.
Hmm, I should go and check and see what I used on my trip, brb!

Ok, this is what I used.

Microwave is a Sunbeam SBM7700W
120 Volt A/C
8 Amps

So the microwave uses, what is that, 960 watts. I got that microwave at Walmart, it was on special for like 99$us at the time I bought it, or maybe it was 59$us, I remember it was something absurd and it was definitely under 100$us.

Inverter is a Vector MAXXSST w/ soft start technology (whatever that means!)
1500 Watt peak
750 Watt running

This may have come from Advance Auto Parts, I can't remember.

Here is a place selling one for 100$us.

I ran that off of 2 deep cycle marine batteries I got from Advance Auto.

Even though that cheap inverter (750 watt running, 1500 watt peak) doesn't say it's big enough to run that microwave (960 watts), I can assure you it ran it just fine, often.

I wasn't preparing like giant multi-course meals with the thing, of course, it was just me most of the time. The biggest meal I made in it was for me and this gardener at some Mexican RV camping place, and I think we had chunky soup, a can of corn, and I forget what else, just things you heat up for a few minutes.

Last edited by wind_magic; 07-26-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I forgot to mention what we ended up using more than anything else, and that was a Coleman two-burner camp stove with a propane one-pound bottle (the green spin on ones). I still use those for the Magma BBQ on the new boat, because I don't feel like putting a Y-connector in the ship's propane line and running hose under the decks.

The Coleman folds flat to about 4 inches thick and stows easily. We used it exclusively in the cockpit on a 4 foot x 1 foot x 1/2 inch pine plank with a rubber mat glued to it as "anti-skid". We took care of the connectors and made sure they were tight and secure. We had fair weather more often than not, and "cockpit cooking" kept the boat cool, and the Coleman burners were superior to any alcohol stove. I suppose if you had a cockpit table instead of a tiller like us, it would have been even more secure. We used the "camp toaster" on one side and a frying pan on the other and had many a delicious breakfast from it. Of course, the coffee was made rapidly by boiling water and using a Bodum (sometimes called a French press). We use the same stuff for civilized camping, just as we do the various tarping and hammock-erecting techniques. Could be a Canadian thing...I dunno...

I took the Coleman with me on the new boat, because the combo of the rail BBQ and the Coleman stove on a steel deck covered with anti-skid on a hot morning is better than having the Force 10 roaring away in the galley.
Old 07-26-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Of course, the coffee was made rapidly by boiling water and using a Bodum (sometimes called a French press).
We love coffee made with our Bodum as well - a saucepan, or tea kettle, of spring water boils in just 3 minutes over a propane burner. Scoop 5-6 measures of course ground coffee into the bottom of the carafe (I buy whole beans of French Roast and grind enough for cruising, from shore power), pour water in and let it steep for 5 minutes. Then plunge the gasketed and screened cover down and enjoy.

Old 07-26-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post

Damn, that's a properly sized one. Not like those tiny things they use on Portuguese race boats to save weight!
Old 07-26-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I have a converter on my boat - not an inverter, hence I think that I have to use a 12V microwave... The batteries have 230 amp hours (when they were new - about 7 years old now). So when I looked at the RV microwaves I believe they were drawing close to 100 amps, which I figured would probably wipe the batteries out fast.
Old 10-28-2007
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
We checked out a lot of the old post when our 30' Morgan OI came with a new Origo non pressurized Alc. and almost bought the arguments about the slow cooking Origo but one sailer said she had used one for about 10 years and loved it so we decided to give it a try. It works great, we love it too and while it lacks an oven it cooks and heats our food and coffee fine. We use denatured Alch. from most any hardware store and at the suggestion of one of the experts purchased an Aeropress coffee maker [you only heat the water to 165-175 degrees to make perfect coffee]. We have owned and used propane on other boats and yes its faster but the expense [and danger] does not make it worthwhile to us. Try it, then decide. You too may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
JS-

I'm glad you like the Aeropress. I've given a few away as gifts...they're great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-28-2007

Mary51 is on a distinguished road
Non-pressurized alcohol works fine for me

This last trip out, I cooked and baked using a pressure cooker and the non-pressuized Origo. It worked just fine.

The preference here seems similar to discussion of electric windlasses in a way. Is it important to you do things quickly (electric windlass, propane stove/oven) or would you rather not have to operate and maintain complicated systems (non-pressure alcohol, manual or no windlass)?

I have to keep it simple.

Mary
Old 11-07-2007

fordo is on a distinguished road
The Tartan 30 I bought had an Origo that the PO had put in to replace the pressurized alcohol stove. I was very pleasantly suprised by how good it is. Much faster than I expected. Retrofitting for propane can be a real pain and pressurized alcohol can be very annoying, especially as these stoves are now pretty old. If it is not easy to install the propane go with the Origo. I am told that West Marine handles these stoves on a special order basis. Good Luck! Ford