Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-07-2007

bsfree is on a distinguished road
I'm very happy with my Origo 6000, cooked a delicious roast chicken this past weekend, and while it is true that the temp control is not precise I have learned to use the oven more by "feel" than numbers. The top burners work just fine for me. I think it's an individual preference whether one goes with propane or alcohol, the reality is they both are capable of cooking a decent meal, safely, how decent will depend on the cook!
There has been a lot of debate over propane v alcohol, I myself asked for advice here before I went the alcohol way, mainly because of the simplicity. It is more expensive, cost me approx $14 a gallon which lasts around 4 weeks cooking every day.
All the best
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2007
CosmosMariner

CosmosMariner is on a distinguished road
I can't resist getting into this one! Our Origo has worked well for over 20 years. We replaced the canisters 2 years ago. As an example, I've cooked Chicken piccatta and pasta on it, bacon and eggs, pan fried fish and steaks with steak fries, broccoli and gravy, Chinese dishes and if you check out my photo gallery on this site you can see the cake http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/.../ppuser/132057 and Italian bread http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/.../ppuser/132057 we bake in our Coleman camper stove set on top of one burner. You can't bake bread without good temperature control and with the thermometer on the Coleman it is easy and precise. I've made time comparisons of using propane vs unpressurized alcohol and the difference is insignificant. I considered switching to propane which is great cooking fuel but given the safety factor we decided to stay with the Origo. We do have a propane Magma grill and a 6lb aluminum bottle mounted on the stern rail.

bsfree, just get an oven thermometer at the hardware store and you'll be able to get it precisely! Also our fuel consumption is the same as you state about a gallon a month using it every day.

Last edited by CosmosMariner; 11-09-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Wow, almost four months this thread has been going

I'd like thank everybody for their comments.

I think, from what I've read here, I'm satisfied an Origo non-pressurized alcohol stove would be the way for us to go. It seems to me much simpler (I like simple) and somewhat safer.

It's not something we're likely to do right away, in any event. This upgrade will wait until we seriously start to plan our first cruise. That's probably a ways off.

Jim