Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-26-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Question Helix Mooring Anchors... one or two?

We are trying to figure out what the best system for mooring our 27' Pearson will be. We're interested in the Helix anchor but i wanted to get input from other experienced Helix users. I've been in contact with Helix and have been told that our conditions are perfect for them... (the bottom is muddy and it's pretty firm with some sand and clay mixed in.) Although we have a dock to keep our boat at, we want a mooring for use in time of hurricanes. I was told by a Helix rep that "Generally we advocate the use of our high load Square Shaft anchors for severe storm situations. These anchors are installed by trained installers with special equipment, and there are no installers in your area." And they went further with: "Another option for your consideration is our "lower load" Round Shaft anchor series. The Round Shaft series is our do it your self anchors and are installed without special equipment. Fully installed in a firm soil such as you describe these anchors can deliver meaningful holding. Model H1066 is our largest do it yourself anchor and fully installed in firm soil should deliver an estimated 3000-4000lbs of holding. For comparison purposes a 4000lbs concrete block set on the same firm soil will deliver about 3000lbs of holding. If you are interested in more than the estimated 3000-4000lbs of holding from the H1066 you could install two of them and bridle them together with chain."

I guess my question is... wouldn't having two anchors and a chain be problematic as far as getting tangled? Should i even bother with two or would one be sufficiant? Our boat has 6000lbs of displacement so i'm worried that one would not be enough. Of course... i could just go with one and keep my fingers crossed but i want peace of mind during a storm. I guess if we got "the big one" and our boat snapped loose our insurance would cover it but i want to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks and sorry for being long winded... i'm good at it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2007
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Well if you had 2 of those anchors on the bottom connected to a mooring ball with a swivel there would be no tangling at all.
Old 07-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you connected the two helix anchors with a short bridle using a three-way swivel, and then lead a single chain up to the buoy, there would be little if any problem or risk with fouling.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-31-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the input guys... we have decided to go with two. Even though i know it won't affect us this time, that tropical Storm that just formed out in the Atlantic scared me into two Helix anchors. Better safe than sorry.

One further question though. Even though our Pearson 27' has 6000lbs of displacement... that doesn't neccesarily mean that it will be exerting 6000lbs of pull/pressure... correct? This would have more to do with wind speed, waves, and the area of our boat exposed to the wind. Am i correct in this way of thinking?

Old 07-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The surge level of force your boat can exert could well be more than 6000 lbs. If you think about how much force the boat can exert by moving up and down... the higher the seas, the more force it can exert. However, those forces are generally momentary, rather than sustained. IMHO. This would also take fairly heavy winds and seas to do, and if you are in a well-protected anchorage, it isn't all that likely to occur.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-01-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Thanks Dawg...
btw- I found this info on wind load as well...

Last edited by Joel73; 08-01-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2007
1987 Pearson 27

One last thing (ok maybe not the last, but...) We will be mooring "At Last" in about 6-7 feet of water. I understand needing 1.5 times the absolute depth of water for chain length... so during a hurricane storm surge we could possibly see around 14 feet of water... so that means we need 21 feet of chain. Here's the question: Would a 15" (for up to 46lbs) Jim Buoy mooring ball be sufficiant... OR do we need an 18" (for up to 90lbs)?

Old 08-01-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
TOMMYT IN PORTUGAL

Old 08-01-2007
Telstar 28

Joel-

I'd go with the 18" mooring ball. The extra flotation can sometimes help reduce shock loading when tied up to a mooring. It will also float higher and make picking up the pennant easier.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-01-2007
1987 Pearson 27

I ran accross a great deal on Craigslist today... a complete mooring system for 100 bucks. The problem is that it's too small for our boat i think...

"150 lb mushroom anchor, 15 feet of 5/16 galvanized chain connected with swivel to 15 feet of 3/8 galvanized chain, mooring ball is 15" Jim Buoy, model 4401"

Our boat is a 27... can i use the chain and the mooring ball? Or is that too small...