Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-26-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Masking tapes/techniques

I'm repainting some hull stripes this week. Port side completed this a.m. I put three coats on, rolling and tipping, two covered nicely but I thought the third would withstand fender rub a bit longer.

The tape I used (allegedly "14 day" tape) had been on for 3-4 days in warm weather and did not come off cleanly at all. Anyone have suggestions re: techniques; timing - when best to remove the tape (I've always tried to get it off asap) and then how best to deal with the leftover bits that "stuck" or where just the backing came up leaving a lot of gum behind.

I did have some 3M fineline tape but I could only get 1/4" stuff, and had the devil of a time laying it on straight, so used the 1" wide blue paper tape instead. The fineline comes off just great, clean, but I worry about squiggles using it.

I'm off to turn the boat around and start the other side later today - so any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Try using a carpet "draw" knife at a 20 degree angle. That should bring up the tape cleanly, especially after you soak it a bit with a damp sponge.

That "blue" tape is crap. Always falls to bits if the sun has shined on it.
Old 07-26-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
If you want to use up the Fineline tape, one trick I used when applying somewhat wider pinstripping tape, is to first apply the tape to a nonstick paper backer. I had a long stiff backer sheet for this purpose on a prior boat - but perhaps waxed paper could work.

Roll out a long enough sheet of backer paper on the dock, cut it into a 2" wide strip and lay the tape along the uncut edge. Then lightly roll the paper backer into a managable "tube" and unroll it along your hull stripe edge, pressing the tape down as you go.

I'm not sure this trick is effective for your 1/4" tape, but try leaving the backer sheet on to provide better hull protection when painting the stripe. Otherwise it makes for better control and straighter lines when applying.
Old 07-26-2007

US25 is on a distinguished road
You're on your own as far as the little left over bits that need removing, but in the future, the only way to remove masking is immediately after painting, while the paint is still wet; not dry, not tacky, but WET. Sometimes this means re-masking for each coat, and lots of expensive tape, but if you want a good quality job, then it's the only way.
Old 07-26-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Thanks, guys - TB I like the idea of the stiff backing, but with the 1/4" tape that won't leave much sticky area for the mask.... not sure I can make that work.

I must agree, Val, that the blue tape is crap... live and learn.

US, I hear you, but jeez that's a ton of extra work...

Think I'll give the Fineline another go, maybe with someone there to help me sight the lines.

Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Faster- I believe there is a big difference in "blue" tapes. If I remember correctly Practical Sailor did a report on it last year? When we did the non skid and boot stripe we got some green tape (worked great)that was supposed to be significantly better than the blue as far as not bleeding through and also removal, might have been made by 3M, can't recall. We got it at Fisheries Supply in Seattle. Sorry I don't have more facts, but I know there are better choices than the run of the mill "blue". I also know the blue tape you get at Home Depot is garbage for fine work.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 07-26-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Autobody shops have the tape/paper set-up True Blue is talking about pre-made on a roll. IIRC, the paper is about a foot wide. You could cut it down to six inches and that would probably be enough to keep you "straight".

The most reliable method, in my experience, is the wet removal. Not fun.
Old 07-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I just bottom painted my boat, and used the 3M Blue 60-day release tape... and it worked just fine... even though it was on some parts of the hull for near that amount of time and exposed to the sun and rain for almost two months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-26-2007
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I just bottom painted my boat, and used the 3M Blue 60-day release tape... and it worked just fine... even though it was on some parts of the hull for near that amount of time and exposed to the sun and rain for almost two months.
So the question is... can I get some around here? I'll have to check around tomorrow morning. Thanks SD
Old 08-04-2007
Just another Moderator

Thanks again for the tips, the job is done. I'm fairly satisfied with the results, used the fine line after all, along with the 3M 60 day tape. Both sides turned out the same, but there was a lot of cleanup work on the first side using crappy tape (turned out it wasn't even the 3M brand)

The reason for taking the old stripes off was they were really chalky and rubbing off making a mess of the fenders and other occasionally rafted boats. Used "Aqua strip" with good results to get old stripes off, even though at the time the temperature was pretty low. New stripe paint is Interlux Brightsides single part - will be interesting to see how that holds up.
Attached Thumbnails
Masking tapes/techniques-stripes-005.jpg