Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-29-2007

dougshipl is on a distinguished road
leaking deck hatches

After replacing the weather seal on our 10 year old deck hatches I noticed that a couple are still leaking. I tracked the leaks to the black silocone or caulk bedding that is in between the glass of the hatch and stainless frame. The hatches are top quality so I dont want to replace if possible to fix. They are unlabeled but I think they are made by Mainship. I would like to attempt to recaulk them myself if possible. Does anyone know how this is usually done, difficulty level and material needed? Also, I noticed one is leaking from the hatch's securing handle (that twists to secure the hatch when closed). Are the handles typically set with a simple rubber washer that can be replaced? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Doug-

Can you post some photos... since you're not sure of the maker, it would help if we could see what you're talking about, especially if your guess about who made them is wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-29-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Doug, usually you can't really make a long-term fix unless you first remove the glazing from the frame, then rebed & reset it properly. The handles should also have a way to be taken apart and reinstalled with new o-rings, washers, etc.

No brands or logos anywhere? In the handles or hinge areas?
Old 07-30-2007
CatSailor from Oz

alanl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to alanl
Although it will not correct any leak between the glass and frame or around the handle (take "Hellosailor's" advice), you can certainly reduce the water ingress if you elevate the entire hatch above the existing surface to allow water to run around it, This means removing the hatch and bonding/fairing on a ring of epoxy-saturated ply, say 19 mm high, then rebedding the hatch into the elevated structure. There are more details and an illustration (taken prior to final fairing) at www.handymariner.com.au

Cheers

Alan
Old 07-30-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If the hatch is leaking as described, it usually means the seal is breaking down and the bond is not what it was. As a result it should be relatively easy to remove the glazing and start over. Replace the glazing if it's crazed or getting opaque. These hatches are crazy expensive so it's worth a shot at repairing them.

I removed and recaulked/rebonded the glazing on one of our hatches with good results - masked off the frame and the glazing, used excess sealant/adhesive, wiped off the excess once seated and unmask. I used some Dow Corning 795 that I had leftover from another project and so far it's holding up.

Now if only I could find the correct gasket material for the hatch lid seal......
Old 07-31-2007

dougshipl is on a distinguished road
I confirmed with Hylas it is Mainship Mfg. The glazzing that is leaking is a soft black silicone. The hatch is plexiglass or similiar and frame is stainless. Can I just dig this out and replace with a black 3M product or similiar?
Old 07-31-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Lancer28 is on a distinguished road
Go to home depot and get a can or three of "Wind Jammer" in the caulking section. It is a removeable sealant that works GREAT and just peels right off without any tools or chemicals when you want to change it or take it off.

I use it a lot. To make nice seal on something you open and close often, lay a bead letting it dry first around the port or hatch then closing it so it makes like a little gasket. If I'm hauling out for like the winter, I lay the bead around them with it shut and it seals nicely for the fall through hot and cold weather.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.