Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-29-2007

US25 is on a distinguished road
Ideas for cockpit flooring? On a budget.....

I need to install some type of flooring in my cockpit, and most of the retail products are just so darn expensive. I really don't like the look of Dry-Deck or non skid paint, but I've priced out the pre-manufactured interlocking teak grid, and it's around $300. Has anyone built their own flooring out of something less pricey? I need some great idea, that won't cost me an arm and leg. I have access to a decent wood shop, but my woodworking skills aren't what you'd call professional, just average.

What I'd really like is to build a disappearing table like this, but....

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cool, a cockpit grate that lifts up to become a table... hmm... I don't know I'd want to have my food on a surface that I've been walking all over though...

As for making a cockpit floor grate, it isn't that difficult, especially if you make it with the slats all running one direction, as in the photo. Basically, you have to rip a number of boards to the slat width and then setup a jig to hold the boards in position and fasten them to some perpendicular ribs, spaced about a foot apart, that will support the grate. I've seen them with edge trim and without...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-29-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Cool, a cockpit grate that lifts up to become a table... hmm... I don't know I'd want to have my food on a surface that I've been walking all over though...
In the restaurant business theres the "three second rule"...so if you can eat your meal in less than 3 secs your all good

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-29-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Don Casey's book, "100 Fast & Easy Boat Improvements" has an idea you might be intereted in. The book runs about 15 bucks.

Instead of the typical cross hatched grating he recommends slats, fore and aft (length ways). He recommends 1x2 lumber, dimensional ideally. Teak, of course, is the most desirable for durability, but he lists redwood, red cedar, or yellow pine as alternatives.

You cut cross bracing that spans the width of your cockpit, getting as close to the sides as possible. Then you cut length ways pieces to lay on top of those, screwed together with brass screws. if the steering pedestal is in the way, cut the grate in two and make a semi-circular cut out for the pedestal base. Put some rubber or plastic feet on the bottom to lift it ever so much above the deck.

Here's the nice part of the idea. If you fasten some cleat stock, around 1x1 in size, an 1-1/2 to 2 inches below your seats on the sides of the cockpit, you can lift the grate out and lay it across the open cockpit. Resting on the cleat stock, you've now converted your cockpit into a good size bed!

With the types of wood recommended, I'd use epoxy where the slats cross and epoxy the whole thing before painting or varnishing the whole shebang. Although, with the redwood or cedar you could make a case for just staining it. I'm assuming teak is not in the budget, or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I think casey's book is available at wm or on amazon.
Old 07-29-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
Don Casey's book, "100 Fast & Easy Boat Improvements" has an idea you might be intereted in. The book runs about 15 bucks.

Instead of the typical cross hatched grating he recommends slats, fore and aft (length ways). He recommends 1x2 lumber, dimensional ideally. Teak, of course, is the most desirable for durability, but he lists redwood, red cedar, or yellow pine as alternatives.

You cut cross bracing that spans the width of your cockpit, getting as close to the sides as possible. Then you cut length ways pieces to lay on top of those, screwed together with brass screws. if the steering pedestal is in the way, cut the grate in two and make a semi-circular cut out for the pedestal base. Put some rubber or plastic feet on the bottom to lift it ever so much above the deck.

Here's the nice part of the idea. If you fasten some cleat stock, around 1x1 in size, an 1-1/2 to 2 inches below your seats on the sides of the cockpit, you can lift the grate out and lay it across the open cockpit. Resting on the cleat stock, you've now converted your cockpit into a good size bed!

With the types of wood recommended, I'd use epoxy where the slats cross and epoxy the whole thing before painting or varnishing the whole shebang. Although, with the redwood or cedar you could make a case for just staining it. I'm assuming teak is not in the budget, or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I think casey's book is available at wm or on amazon.
Hey thanks for the book tip. I like the idea of being able to raise it up to make a bed.
Old 07-29-2007
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
*cringe* This suggestion will prolly get me lynched -- either by traditionalist sailors or my fellow woodworking professionals....

How about composite decking products -- eg, Trex or TimberTech? Mills easily, doesn't rot, splinter, or warp. Not real expensive in small quantities. You'd have to leave expansion room, & it isn't especially structural. But it'd be my first choice of decking in a persistently wet environment. Could make your little pop-up table out of it, too.

(I love wood. Make my living with it. But it has its limitations, and marine environments .... not so good.)
Old 07-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Be aware that the composite decking material usually has some wood byproducts in it, and as such can get moldy in a wet environment. It also isn't as rigid as the real wood would be.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-29-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
*cringe* This suggestion will prolly get me lynched -- either by traditionalist sailors or my fellow woodworking professionals....

How about composite decking products -- eg, Trex or TimberTech? Mills easily, doesn't rot, splinter, or warp. Not real expensive in small quantities. You'd have to leave expansion room, & it isn't especially structural. But it'd be my first choice of decking in a persistently wet environment. Could make your little pop-up table out of it, too.

(I love wood. Make my living with it. But it has its limitations, and marine environments .... not so good.)
I like the alternative product concept, I've even considered using StarBoard.
Old 07-29-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
In a decent lumbar yard you should be able to buy a type of wood called "Ipe". It is a South American hardwood that looks and handles like teak, but is commercially grown. It is less than a third the cost of teak and it is sold in diminsional sizes (1x4) that already come with smooth slightly rounded edges. All you have to do is cut to length and attach them together as mentioned above.
Old 07-29-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
In a decent lumbar yard you should be able to buy a type of wood called "Ipe". It is a South American hardwood that looks and handles like teak, but is commercially grown. It is less than a third the cost of teak and it is sold in diminsional sizes (1x4) that already come with smooth slightly rounded edges. All you have to do is cut to length and attach them together as mentioned above.
Wow, that sounds pretty good. I will definitely check into it, thanks