Ideas for cockpit flooring? On a budget..... - SailNet Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 07-29-2007 Thread Starter
Member
 
US25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 116
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Ideas for cockpit flooring? On a budget.....

I need to install some type of flooring in my cockpit, and most of the retail products are just so darn expensive. I really don't like the look of Dry-Deck or non skid paint, but I've priced out the pre-manufactured interlocking teak grid, and it's around $300. Has anyone built their own flooring out of something less pricey? I need some great idea, that won't cost me an arm and leg. I have access to a decent wood shop, but my woodworking skills aren't what you'd call professional, just average.

What I'd really like is to build a disappearing table like this, but....

US25 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 Old 07-29-2007
Telstar 28
 
sailingdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 14
         
Cool, a cockpit grate that lifts up to become a table... hmm... I don't know I'd want to have my food on a surface that I've been walking all over though...

As for making a cockpit floor grate, it isn't that difficult, especially if you make it with the slats all running one direction, as in the photo. Basically, you have to rip a number of boards to the slat width and then setup a jig to hold the boards in position and fasten them to some perpendicular ribs, spaced about a foot apart, that will support the grate. I've seen them with edge trim and without...

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
sailingdog is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 29 Old 07-29-2007
Senior Member
 
T37Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,464
Thanks: 74
Thanked 42 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Cool, a cockpit grate that lifts up to become a table... hmm... I don't know I'd want to have my food on a surface that I've been walking all over though...
In the restaurant business theres the "three second rule"...so if you can eat your meal in less than 3 secs your all good

Cheers,
Shawn & the crew of S/V Windgeist

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T37Chef is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of 29 Old 07-29-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 10,318
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 12
       
25,
Don Casey's book, "100 Fast & Easy Boat Improvements" has an idea you might be intereted in. The book runs about 15 bucks.

Instead of the typical cross hatched grating he recommends slats, fore and aft (length ways). He recommends 1x2 lumber, dimensional ideally. Teak, of course, is the most desirable for durability, but he lists redwood, red cedar, or yellow pine as alternatives.

You cut cross bracing that spans the width of your cockpit, getting as close to the sides as possible. Then you cut length ways pieces to lay on top of those, screwed together with brass screws. if the steering pedestal is in the way, cut the grate in two and make a semi-circular cut out for the pedestal base. Put some rubber or plastic feet on the bottom to lift it ever so much above the deck.

Here's the nice part of the idea. If you fasten some cleat stock, around 1x1 in size, an 1-1/2 to 2 inches below your seats on the sides of the cockpit, you can lift the grate out and lay it across the open cockpit. Resting on the cleat stock, you've now converted your cockpit into a good size bed!

With the types of wood recommended, I'd use epoxy where the slats cross and epoxy the whole thing before painting or varnishing the whole shebang. Although, with the redwood or cedar you could make a case for just staining it. I'm assuming teak is not in the budget, or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I think casey's book is available at wm or on amazon.

“Scientists are people who build the Brooklyn Bridge and then buy it.”
Wm. F. Buckley, Jr.
sailaway21 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of 29 Old 07-29-2007 Thread Starter
Member
 
US25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 116
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
25,
Don Casey's book, "100 Fast & Easy Boat Improvements" has an idea you might be intereted in. The book runs about 15 bucks.

Instead of the typical cross hatched grating he recommends slats, fore and aft (length ways). He recommends 1x2 lumber, dimensional ideally. Teak, of course, is the most desirable for durability, but he lists redwood, red cedar, or yellow pine as alternatives.

You cut cross bracing that spans the width of your cockpit, getting as close to the sides as possible. Then you cut length ways pieces to lay on top of those, screwed together with brass screws. if the steering pedestal is in the way, cut the grate in two and make a semi-circular cut out for the pedestal base. Put some rubber or plastic feet on the bottom to lift it ever so much above the deck.

Here's the nice part of the idea. If you fasten some cleat stock, around 1x1 in size, an 1-1/2 to 2 inches below your seats on the sides of the cockpit, you can lift the grate out and lay it across the open cockpit. Resting on the cleat stock, you've now converted your cockpit into a good size bed!

With the types of wood recommended, I'd use epoxy where the slats cross and epoxy the whole thing before painting or varnishing the whole shebang. Although, with the redwood or cedar you could make a case for just staining it. I'm assuming teak is not in the budget, or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I think casey's book is available at wm or on amazon.
Hey thanks for the book tip. I like the idea of being able to raise it up to make a bed.
US25 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of 29 Old 07-29-2007
baDumbumbum
 
bobmcgov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Windy Wyoming
Posts: 1,121
Thanks: 0
Thanked 36 Times in 35 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
*cringe* This suggestion will prolly get me lynched -- either by traditionalist sailors or my fellow woodworking professionals....

How about composite decking products -- eg, Trex or TimberTech? Mills easily, doesn't rot, splinter, or warp. Not real expensive in small quantities. You'd have to leave expansion room, & it isn't especially structural. But it'd be my first choice of decking in a persistently wet environment. Could make your little pop-up table out of it, too.

(I love wood. Make my living with it. But it has its limitations, and marine environments .... not so good.)
bobmcgov is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #7 of 29 Old 07-29-2007
Telstar 28
 
sailingdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 14
         
Be aware that the composite decking material usually has some wood byproducts in it, and as such can get moldy in a wet environment. It also isn't as rigid as the real wood would be.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
sailingdog is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #8 of 29 Old 07-29-2007 Thread Starter
Member
 
US25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 116
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
*cringe* This suggestion will prolly get me lynched -- either by traditionalist sailors or my fellow woodworking professionals....

How about composite decking products -- eg, Trex or TimberTech? Mills easily, doesn't rot, splinter, or warp. Not real expensive in small quantities. You'd have to leave expansion room, & it isn't especially structural. But it'd be my first choice of decking in a persistently wet environment. Could make your little pop-up table out of it, too.

(I love wood. Make my living with it. But it has its limitations, and marine environments .... not so good.)
I like the alternative product concept, I've even considered using StarBoard.
US25 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #9 of 29 Old 07-29-2007
Thanks Courtney.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: IL
Posts: 3,954
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 11
     
In a decent lumbar yard you should be able to buy a type of wood called "Ipe". It is a South American hardwood that looks and handles like teak, but is commercially grown. It is less than a third the cost of teak and it is sold in diminsional sizes (1x4) that already come with smooth slightly rounded edges. All you have to do is cut to length and attach them together as mentioned above.

hunter Legend 37 Semper Paratus
Formerly - Tartan 34C Yawl
T34C is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #10 of 29 Old 07-29-2007 Thread Starter
Member
 
US25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 116
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
In a decent lumbar yard you should be able to buy a type of wood called "Ipe". It is a South American hardwood that looks and handles like teak, but is commercially grown. It is less than a third the cost of teak and it is sold in diminsional sizes (1x4) that already come with smooth slightly rounded edges. All you have to do is cut to length and attach them together as mentioned above.
Wow, that sounds pretty good. I will definitely check into it, thanks
US25 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for budget bluewater cruiser suggestions Moniker Boat Review and Purchase Forum 29 06-25-2012 10:07 PM
Calculating the Cost of Cruising Paul & Sheryl Shard Cruising Articles 0 04-03-2003 07:00 PM
Calculating the Cost of Cruising Paul & Sheryl Shard Her Sailnet Articles 0 04-03-2003 07:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome