Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-30-2007

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
fairclough Boat Covers

I know it's still summer but I just received my winter storage agreement. I got me thinking that I need to get a cover for my boat. I've seen alot of those fairclough covers. Does anyone have them and what do you think about them. Thanks
2007 Hunter 49
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Dave... I had one for my c320. They are the 'Cadillac' of covers being very expensive and very well made. I don't know how far they extend thier 'free delivery and first setup' from Conn. but in RI it was nice to see how they make it fit like a well ventilated glove. There are others in Canada for instance I've heard of that are suposedly 'just as good' - don't know. Between my extra mast, stays, bow sprit, and davits I didn't even bother with an estimate for my current boat for fear of a deadly sticker shock I sold my cover, kept the frame, and modified it to do my own shrink wrapping.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 07-30-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I had a Fairclough winter cover estimate prepared for my boat 2 years ago, which is essentially the same deck and mast plan as Stan's. Even with an off-season estimate at a 10% discount, I was quoted over $5,000 for frame and cover.

Decided to design and construct my own frame using Framemaker clamps and 3/4" EMC, cost me less than $150.00. Original plan was to design, cut and sew a fabric cover - but never seemed to have the time. I've had a professional shrinkwrapper cover the frame for the past two winters - at a cost of about $400/season . . . even if I do this for ten years - I'm still way ahead of Fairclough's money.

I've got several photos I could post of the installation, if anyone's interested.
Old 07-30-2007

I'm in Mystic CT so that makes it pretty easy. I did give them a call but they couldn't give me a good quote only that it would be north of 6K They have a annual service of putting up in the fall and taking down in the spring and storing the cover and frame over the summer. That service is like $1,300. year.
Stan- When you had yours, were you pleased with it's performance? Do you think the cover would last 10 years? What about ware points on the frame and boat hull?
2007 Hunter 49
Old 07-31-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brezzin View Post
Stan- When you had yours, were you pleased with it's performance? Do you think the cover would last 10 years? What about ware points on the frame and boat hull?
Pleased - Absolutely. I have no doubt it would last more than 10 years - If stored properly in the summer.... not like one of my stupidest moves ever..... leaving it laying folded up on the lawn for a hot damp summer.... Duhhhh. They repaired some rot $$$ and the new owner was happy with the repair. Wear on the frame or canvas - no, the frame is fairly well curved and the canvas is thick... on the hull - never saw any evidence of any wear. I used mine for 5 years on land (now I store in the water) and because it fits so well the lines running under the hull have minimum stress on them. It breathes (semi-open lacing on both ends with cowl vents also) but doesn't billow out to try and sail away and stress the lines.
Old 07-31-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
I had a Fairclough winter cover estimate prepared for my boat 2 years ago, which is essentially the same deck and mast plan as Stan's. Even with an off-season estimate at a 10% discount, I was quoted over $5,000 for frame and cover.
That's what I was afraid of. I paid around $3,000 for the 'mast up' version back in 2000 for an only slightly smaller cover with the c320 actually being almost a foot wider at max and of course much wider at the stern.
Old 07-31-2007

In the past on prior boats I've done the blue tarp thing, the Shrink wrap thing and the nothing thing. In each case there were pro's and con's The last time I did the shrink wrap thing was on my trawler and the installers somehow bent the bimini frame and some stantions (they made good on it but it should not have happened in the first place) On a 49' 11" boat with a 15' beam. The blue tarp thing is not practical due to size constraints I would need atleast two tarps maybe three. The shrink wrap option is also pretty expensive for this size boat My guess right now is it would be upwards of a grand a year. So with a brand new boat I figure that the invesment in the Fairclough cover makes sense. That's why I'm interested in the covers longevity.

I also know that when I sold may last sailboat I had a cover from a canvas shop in Huntington NY. It was a great selling point and I belive it was what tiped the buyer into my boat from another he was considering. Thanks for all the feedback
2007 Hunter 49
Old 07-31-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Brezzin,
If you're feeling ambitious and enjoyed playing with an Erector Set as a boy, consider this approach.

These photos and my descriptions, were actually cut and pasted from two posts I made on Sailnet several months ago. As stated, all materials for building the frame cost less than $150.00.

True Blue winter frame
Old 07-31-2007

TB-

That's a beautiful job. Where did you get the clamps?

Dave
2007 Hunter 49
Old 07-31-2007
Señor Member

We're not really allowed to post links to commercial websites . . . but since you asked.