Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-30-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Obviously someone has hacked CD's account here, the real CD would never advocate putting a balky, problematic, flow restricting check valve in a high capacity bilge pump line.

T34C has the real answer, if you want a dry bilge you need a pump with a small diameter discharge that immediately goes up and through a loop or hump of some kind, so there will be minimum backwash when it shuts down. If you want high capacity bilge pumping, you need a pump with a huge discharge line--which will drop more water back in the bilge. By using two pumps, you also are relying on the "sipping" pump to deal with routine drips, leaving the larger pump with nearly no wear on it, until you need it. (And obviously separate float switches for the two, at different levels.) That also means you can wire up a bilge alarm on the same switch as the larger pump, knowing there's no reason it should ever go off unless you've got a major problem.
Go small and cheap on the "sipping" pump, and if it drains though something small and close that you always leave open, like the galley sink or the cockpit drain...no big deal. Less hose, less rise, less backwash.

That's what the other pump is there for anyway.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
THe problem, dear original poster, lies in your float switch.

You see, they are designed to set the pump on at a higher level, but only disarm the pump at a lower level.

Your switch lost the difference between level high and level low, sometimes only a few centimeters difference, and that happens as they age....like old men....anyway, just get a float switch from Westamarine for $20, and don't come back!!! only joking...I had that problem many times in the past, when floating technology was not to good.

Was that clear???

By the way, I am the easiest, least offendable, best looking, finest yacht person on this forum!
Old 07-30-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"finest yacht person"
Oh dear, G's finally gotten someone so mad they neutered him. (Or would you prefer "it" now?)

< G >
Old 07-30-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Giu, the finest yacht-unuch on sailnet.
Old 07-30-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
OK, here is a drawing of said switch.

HOWEVER, if your pump has a built in switch...time to get a new one...

I have these on my boat...SWITCH Make sure to check if Sailnet doesn't sell them before going anywhere.

And I have two of these with built in switches PUMP

TB is a loser....

Last edited by Giulietta; 07-30-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Giu, the finest yacht-unuch on sailnet.
TB....get a spell checker
Old 07-30-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
T34C has the real answer
Finally, someone with exceptionally good taste has realized the biggest truth that has gone overlooked here for far too long!!! (In case you missed it

T34C has the real answerT34C has the real answerT34CT34C has the real answer has the real answerT34C has the real ansT34C has the real answerwerT34C has the real answerT34C has the T34C has the real answerreal answerT34C has the real answerT34C has the real answerT34C has the real answerT34C has the real answT34C has the real answer

And I taught CD- and G- everything they know about sailing.
Old 07-30-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I have these on my boat...SWITCH
That's what all float switches do Giu - environmentally incorrect ones have a mercury switch. But to my surprise, after buying a replacement last week, Rule has recently substitiuted their mercury swicth design with a mechanical trip device.
Old 07-30-2007
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
TB....get a spell checker
I type too fast - left out the e in eunuch . . .
Old 07-30-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Giu,

Those float switches weigh too much for most cruisers. Plus, think about what happens when you get inverted (turtle the boat) and the switch will turn on. You will run your battery down past the 50% while you are upside down. Very serious stuff, running them past 50%. Not even your solar panels can keep up with that. Come on, get realistic.

- CD

Dear Hello,

After reading your post, I realize you have spent too much time with the Solar Stick. Return it as quickly as possible. Come back to reality. Please. Hurry. Walk away from it while you can.

- CD

HAHA!

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook: