Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-30-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Lancer28 is on a distinguished road
Charging system questions

Hi everyone -

I am just getting started rebuilding my charging system after last week when I accidentally tried to charge both batteries at once and let the "magic smoke" out of my alternator and regulator.

The wires weren't up to spec with the length they were running, so I am gutting it all and replacing everything.

The engine is a johnson sail drive, 1978, with 15hp, model 15BEL I think. I have found a replacment alternator, but there are no wiring diagrams for my ship, and everything is grey, white, and one wire in there is red... (ARGH) another reason for re-wiring. Lucky me, everything is now located within 5 feet of the inboard engine, besides the two runs to battery banks now that I have pulled the engine electricals and consolidated them in one spot, so I don't have to disturb the crew sleeping if I were to have an emergency or electrical breakdown while out to sea.

My questions -

On the wiring - Can't I just have my alternator with a switch like the "on" terminal on the ignition to provide the 12V to the engine and field coil? The rest of the ship runs from the Battery Select switch to a large breaker panel.

After the alternator, is there a way I can get rid of the old regulator with relays in it (it is a wiring MESS!!!) and use a digital one?

Is there any forseeable problems wiring the Ground directly from the batteries to the engine/saildrive aithout going through a switch?

I've drawn up my own wiring diagrams for the ship, which I could attach if anyone is interested and it would help figure out how to wire up the new charging system.

My focus is to color code and simplify. There must be 100 extra wires in there running to and from old gauge panels, switches, breakers that are not there anymore, etc. This makes it really hard to find how to re-wire the old regulator back in, while holding a tester and stuffed into one of the rear berths in the summer heat. It's going to be basic - Battery switch to a "+" distribution block and then off to the various few components (one to the breaker panel, one to the starter switch, one to the bilge pump and radio), then finally splitting at the ignition switch off to the starter, engine gauges, alternator field coil, and cd player / stereo...

Thanks for any help with the regulator problem and any advice on how to wire in my new charging system!

Robert

Last edited by Lancer28; 07-30-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2007
tidepoolpaddleboater

britcoal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to britcoal Send a message via MSN to britcoal
I was under the impression that charging the batteries on "ALL" was fine, although if one battery is older and holds less of a charge then the newer battery might not get fully charged.

What is the danger to systems, if at all, in charging on the "ALL" position?
Old 07-30-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"What is the danger to systems, if at all, in charging on the "ALL" position?"
None in particular. It sounds like Robert's system simply failed from old age while it was trying to put out full power, i.e. into the larger battery bank.

Robert, I would suggest contacting Johnson to see if they can locate some schematics for you. First to confirm if that is a generator, or an alternator, and then to find out what type. Once you know that you can wire it to an external regulator appropriately. (Yes, something modern that doesn't rely on relays...like a 1960's car did.) And determine how it can be wired up.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.