Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-31-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Hull-Scrubbing/-Cleaning "Pad" On A Pole?

One of the boats we looked at, the owner had this handy thing that was a long-ish, flexible "pad" that was suspended between two points at the end of a pole, in such a manner that it had a bit of curve to it. You could scrub a goodly portion of the hull below the waterline from the deck. He said he couldn't find them anywhere, anymore. I'm wondering if anybody here has ever seen these and if they're still available?

TIA,
Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
A friend of mine took a chance on one 4(5?) years ago. None of us really was impressed, and it was back to hiring the diver to clean the bottom within the month. We all tried, it just wasn't good enough.

It can clean off "waterline beard" but it just isn't good enough under the hull.
Old 07-31-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
a-ha! make your own...
wander into home depot, buy 1-10ft section of 2 in pvc, a 2" tee 2 -2" endcaps, 1- 30 or 45 degree 2" angle and "welcome" mat made out of astro turf and 2 cans of tuff stuff foam. cut 2 18in pcs of the pvc, one 12" piece and the rest is a handle. insert the 2 18" pieces to the tee, the one 12" piece to the tee, and glue away. install the angle to the other end of the 2" piece. now is the time to fill the bad boy up with the foam. After that, put on the endcaps, and attach the handle. cut the welcome mat in half, wrap the mat around the 18" pieces tie wrap in place.
It floats! (also gives enough upward pressure on the bottom of the hull to dislodge most yucky stuff.)

the angle and 1 ft piece give you enough room to hit the keel on a 30 ft catalina from the dock.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 07-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The only thing I've seen that seems to work somewhat for scrubbing the hull is a scrubbing brush that had a big float on it... the float would put some pressure on the pad when it was submerged. I saw it in action and thought it was pretty clumsy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-01-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
You can probably guess what my opinion of dock-side hull cleaning is, but for anybody considering it, let me give you a couple of caveats:

You will never, ever, clean the entire hull, or even do a particularly good job on what you do manage to clean. I know how easy it is to miss relatively big spots in good visability with my face literally 12-18 inches from the hull while I'm under a boat, so I know the "Dry Diver" devices will miss much as well. You are essentially working blind.

You will probably be unable to clean the keel at all and you will certainly be unable to clean the running gear. Zincs? Thru-hulls? Transducers? Forgeddaboudit.

You have little control over the scrubbing pressure applied to your paint with one of these devices. Got a spot that needs a little extra elbow grease? Too bad. Got a soft paint that needs a real gentle touch? Bummer. Trying to blindly clean your hull from the dock is no replacement for proper maintenance, IMHO. And by that I mean a diver. 'Course I might be a little biased.
Old 08-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd have to agree with Fstbttms, even if he is a bit biased... I can't reach much of my main hull since the amas are in the way.. But then again, I have no zincs or keel underwater on my boat either...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-01-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I've got all this expensive scuba gear in a boat locker, just itching to be used for the next bottom cleaning, which is a bit overdue . . . although it's a chore I don't much like doing.

My bottom has Micron Extra, an ablative, which creates a blue toxic cloud in the water each time it's scrubbed . . . nasty job.
Old 08-01-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
My back hurts from just thinking about it.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 08-01-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Hey Fstbttms, when working do you get that feeling that you are not alone, waiting for the bump between the shoulders or on the lower leg. I would say money well spent and you earn it.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 08-01-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Hey Fstbttms, when working do you get that feeling that you are not alone, waiting for the bump between the shoulders or on the lower leg. I would say money well spent and you earn it.
Simon, here in the San Francisco Bay we don't have any salties to worry about and the sharks more likely to end up breakfast for a sea lion than they are to be bumping me between the shoulders. but I won't argue that I don't earn my money, none-the-less.