Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-01-2007

DrB will become famous soon enough
In Deck Moisture - Fixes?

I bought a used boat a month ago and the survey went very well. Been sailing on her a few times and really like it. The boat is a 79 Pearson 10M

The surveyor found a few small areas that had high moisture (red) on the deck. 2 of the areas are near the cockpit opening/deck intersection near the deck/hull joint on either side of the boat. Guess is that these areas are less than 2 square inches each. The other problem area is the back deck on the transom where there are a lot of fittings and such. Each of the areas has a few drill patch holes from either other previous fittings or moisture. The back deck may have some wet/partially rotted core.

His suggestion for the fix was to drill out the exisitng patch plugs as they have small cracks in them and repot with 4700? adhesive/potting compound. Over time the trapped moisture will permeate through the fiberglass and the deck core will eventually dry out.

The two side things are no biggie, but the back has a bigger area of moisture with the core getting black (viewed from the underside), so I want to fix this this weekend.

For the back, I was thinking of drilling out the existing plugged holes and putting some very small (1/16") holes in the problem area. Through the larger holes I would inject thin epoxy until it squirted out the weeping holes, allowing to it then cure, then drill some of the epoxy in the plugs and weep holes out and back filling with gel coat to try and match the offwhite transom. The epoxy would react with the water and stiffen everything up and stop the rot.

Plausible? Other ideas?

Thanks.

DrB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"Over time the trapped moisture will permeate through the fiberglass "
That man is delusional. When and if moisture can manage to permeate through the fiberglass, it will have long since destroyed everything in the core first.

Check out the Gougeon Bros / West Systems web site for instructions on how to deal with this. If the areas are small, you can drill some holes, dry out or remove the damp coring, and then repair those areas. But simply resealing them to trap the water that's inside--that's nuts.
Old 08-01-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
After drilling out the holes and before filling them with thicken epoxy, it may be a good idea to place an old angle/key wrench in the drill and use it to remove some more of the core, between the fiberglass. This way you get more epoxy into the deck with smaller holes. Remember to duck tape the back side of the hole before injecting epoxy. If you need to rebed any deck fittings, use a countersink on the epoxy filled holes. It will aid in stopping leaks and give a place for the bedding compound to go.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm... leaving moisture inside the deck core is a really bad idea. It won't necessarily migrate out in the direction you want... and as long as there is moisture in the core, rot and delamination are both strong possibilities.

Drilling holes in to the core material and letting it dry out is a good start, if the core material hasn't been wet for too long and hasn't started to rot. If the core material has started to break down, especially plywood and balsa, you will need to either replace the core material—re-coring the deck, which is a fairly involved project or inject thickened epoxy to try and rebuild the core material's strength.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.