Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-02-2007

Loualfr is on a distinguished road
?jib halyard

I recently attached my jib onto the furler(a little late in the season, but better late than never!!), I couldn't figure out which halyard was the spinnaker halyard and which was the the jib halyard. they both look like they are coming from the same general vicinity 3/4 up the mast. any one know if there is any harm if it is the spinnaker halyard? I really never use the spinnaker.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Is it a fractional rig?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
My genoa works on a fractional rig, and I have 2 halyards for it, one in use, and a spare.

My spi, however, works at the top of the mast, with 2 halyards also. Use and spare.

In your case, if both halyards are coming from the same height one is genoa the other one is Spi. There is no problem in using either one. As long as they are the same type of halyard, and both cleat the same way or similar.
Old 08-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Generally, the Jib halyard comes out below the forestay and the Spin halyard comes out above it... particularly so on a fractional rig..

The real risk if you use the spinnaker halyard is that it may come out of the mast above the furler foil and can lead to a really nasty halyard wrap. A bad halyard wrap can damage the sail and destroy part of the foil and possibly the forestay all at one time, and are best avoided.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-02-2007

Loualfr is on a distinguished road
thanks, will check the arrangement of the two halyards.
Old 08-02-2007

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
A SPARE genoa halyard and SPARE spinnaker halyard? Doesn’t anybody do peel aways anymore? (sigh). Out here in the Pacific we call them PORT and STARBOARD halyards. How do you win any races with only bald headed sail changes? (wink) Gia, when are you going to follow your forefather’s tradition and sail that boat over here and visit us on the Pacific side of the world?
Old 08-02-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
A SPARE genoa halyard and SPARE spinnaker halyard? Doesn’t anybody do peel aways anymore? (sigh). Out here in the Pacific we call them PORT and STARBOARD halyards. How do you win any races with only bald headed sail changes? (wink) Gia, when are you going to follow your forefather’s tradition and sail that boat over here and visit us on the Pacific side of the world?
What is a "peel away" and a "bald headed" change?? Thanks

I wish I had the time to do that.....I'd go there in a heart beat....

My forefather's didn't have much to lose!!

Vasco Da Gama....his wife was ugly, so he went further and further....
Old 08-02-2007

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
A “peel away” is a technique of changing headsails where you hoist the new sail behind the old one, tack, then “peel away” the first one. Spinnakers are done differently where you hoist the new one inside the old one, open it, then drop the old one behind the new one. When it works, it’s a beautiful sight to behold. When it doesn’t, well… “Bald headed” is when you drop the old sail before hoisting the new one. You guys probably do it all the time – you just call it by some Portuguese name. Been reading the “Pirate Queen”, a book about Queen Elizabeth I and her Navy. Very interesting to note that Portuguese navigators and their charts were highly valued and were what both Spain and England used to get around the new world.
Old 08-02-2007

Ahh thanks...

The genoa change we call it "na sombra", wich means in the shadow, or "muda a sotavento" which meand to leeward.

The bald head, I see it bald head, no hair, therefore no sail...no name for it, but we call it "troca de vela on convés" or deck sail change.

Now, I don't know if you know, but the English/Portuguese aliance is the oldest know still runing alliance in the World. It dates back many many centuries.

The Portuguese were good sailors mainly because Portugal had very good writers and cartpgraphs, plus the compass. Made pretty good boats, and invented some cool sailing things.

Add that to the fact that as a strong catolic country, the gains and learnings received when in 1360 we welcomed the Cruzades, that were fleeing from France, made us true believers in the Catolic word, thus the need to expand religion was maybe the most important fact.

In the end, economical reasons were also important.

But, very dark, large hairy gonads helped also!!!

Some say they sailed to run away from their wifes, but I don't believe...we have a few pretty ladies around here.