Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-03-2007

zaldog is on a distinguished road
Question Battery Charger

I am looking at installing a battery charger for a summer cruise on Ragamuffin my Ericson 27. I am currently on a mooring so do not use the old one on the boat. I will be entering marinas with shore power so I can charge my new battery's while in port. I do not want to spend a ton on a charger that will only be used 5 to 10times a season. Has any one heard of or have any info on this charger.

DYTEK MARINE BATTERY CHARGER ? it is dual bank 15 amp output, (7.5 amps per bank) On ebay for $60.00. Is it a piece of crap or will it work for my needs?

Any other Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Zaldog, I would look for a 3-stage or 4-stage charger that has enough power for your batteries, and can be taken home to keep them charged and conditioned over the winter. A charger is cheaper than new batteries every 2-3 years because they aren't conditioned and charged over the winter!

What capacity is your battery/bank?
Old 08-03-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
That one is not what you need. Get a 3 stage charger like this:
http://shop.sailnet.com/product_info.php/products_id/5568?search=1&category=Electrical|wire.jpg
Old 08-03-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
zaldog, I know not of the Dytek unit you're considering, but I'll say this: Batteries lead a harsh life. I haven't much first-hand experience with marine batteries or batteries in a marine environment, but, thinking on it, I suspect they lead the harshest of harsh lives. My feeling is: If the difference between a truly good battery charger and a so-so unit is only $60 or so, over the life of the unit, it's money well spent. You want those batteries to work, and work well, when you turn that key or your instruments are running off them while under sail, etc.

FWIW: The PO of our new-to-us boat installed a Statpower Truecharge 10TB.

Jim
Old 08-03-2007
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
I am looking for a new charger also. I will be mounting it in the lazzerrette where the batteries are. Is this the one? The price looks too good Can I leave it on all the time and it keep my batteries fresh? Do I need to run it thru the battery selector switch or straight to the batteries? And what color is your uncles blue Chevy?fficeffice" />>>
OK the last one was to throw you but I am serious about the rest.
Old 08-03-2007
'87 Pearson 27'

OK now i have to look at both. and where did the smily face come from. i didn't put it there. Which one is better?
Old 08-03-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
jackytdunaway,

My charger is mounted in the lazerette, near the batteries. It is connected directly to the batteries. It is on whenever shore power is connected. I have no uncles.

As to which charger, the one cam noted or the one I have, is better: Dunno.

Jim
Old 08-04-2007

zaldog is on a distinguished road
Cam, thanks I think that one will work perfect how many amps does it output? The Statpower looks good as well. I need one quick had to motor farther out on Lake Michigan today and around the marina after sailing to charge my bat's today. Had a great sail tho. Wing on Wing coming back was so relaxing. :-)
Old 08-04-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Zal...it outputs 5amps to each of 2 banks or 10amps in a single bank mode.
It will charge up to 120AH's of battery capacity...i.e. 2x60ah batteries or 1 120ah battery. Ideally chargers should be sized at around 25% of capacity for FLOODED cells...but with dock side power and weekend use you can get away with quite a bit less than in "cruising" mode. The important thing is to get a 3 stage charger that can both fully charge the battery AND hold it there without damage over the long term. I don't know what size your battery bank is so my initial recommendation was based on guessing what type of batteries you might have in a 27 footer...so take a look at what you really need before committing to it. If you have a large bank or AGM batteries or are prepping for extended cruising you might want something else but this unit will work fine on a couple of typical car size batteries on a boat at the dock used for weekend cruising.
Old 08-04-2007
'87 Pearson 27'

Cam,
i have a 230 AH house bank using (2) 115-AH group 27s. It sounds like this is not the charger for me. What criteria do i use in getting a charger?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.