Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-08-2007

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
Garmin offers a MapSource DVD title for US Inland Lakes, and you can check at Garmin.com to see if it covers your Lake. I recently purchased v3 because it covers the lake I sail. I've had a 76CS for several years and am quite satisfied. I've used Tigergps.com and am also quite satisfied with the prices and buying experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
It seems like most are recomending Garmin products.
I have an old Garmin 12 that I still keep on board as my back up GPS.
I love the little unit. It has some features in it that I use all the time versus the chartplotter/gps at the helm. It was a great buy for about $160.00 way back when. Like a Timex, it keeps on ticking.

Although it does not have all the capablities of what you are loking for and is a discontinued item, it just is further proof of the respect that Garmin seems to be getting over the other brands.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of thier products.

On a related but not the same subject.
Has anybody ever seen a Wrist Watch Type GPS? The ones I have seen are the Athletic ones. They seem to be geared more towards runners.

I would like to be able to see info like; SOG, COG, Etc...... from my wrist.

I have a Raymarine remote Autopilot that is also a repeater which interfaces with the other instruments through SeaTalk, but that is usually on a belt clip or in my pocket; it is such a pain to take out of my pocket or off of the belt clip. ( I know, whats the big deal? Right?)

I want to be able to just look at my wrist, like a watch. Wouldn't that be cool. A GPS unit on your wrist. Somebody has had to thought of this already. But like I said the ones I have seen are geared towards running not sailing.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 08-08-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Because I used to travel for work (now unemployed and looking), I bought a Garmin GPSmap 478 last year. I still love it. It has all the charts for the entire coastal US, and all the roadways throughought the US (the maps for Boston are accurate). It is also water(proof/resistant) to IPX7. To use in the car or motorcycle, I select "Automotive," and everything pertaining to road navigation (Street names, speed in MPH, Time to next turn, voice prompts, etc.) is set. To use on the boat, I select "Marine," and everything pertaining to marine navigation (Speed in Kts, AToN, Course, heading, anhor drag, etc.) is set.

There is a inland lake version of the unit, the GPSmap 378 with all of the AToN for inland navigation.

The only issue may be price, (currently about $750).

Ed
Old 08-08-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
On a related but not the same subject.
Has anybody ever seen a Wrist Watch Type GPS? The ones I have seen are the Athletic ones. They seem to be geared more towards runners.

I want to be able to just look at my wrist, like a watch. Wouldn't that be cool. A GPS unit on your wrist. Somebody has had to thought of this already. But like I said the ones I have seen are geared towards running not sailing.
Never mind,
I found it on the TIGERGPS page.
Pretty cool, I think Im going to get one.

http://tigergps.com/gafo201wewrg.html

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.