Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-03-2007

mwrohde is on a distinguished road
Recommend Hand Held GPS

I'm in the market for a hand held GPS to replace the one I just tossed over the side.

I sail only on an inland lake. I used the previous GPS as a speedometer, to mark low places in the lake, and to mark places that I'd like to return to. I'd like the GPS to "know" the lake, or be able to download a map. I'd also like to be able to upload points to it for geo-caching. I don't give a rip about color, but I'd like a screen that is easy to see and has an available back light. I am price sensitive.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Alex, I'll upload a picture at some point so that you can add me to your collection. Just not yet.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2007

DrB will become famous soon enough
Garmin

I like Garmin products. Get one with mapping capabilities and a memory Chip. The Map 76cx is a nice one or The similar Etrex version.

DrB
Old 08-03-2007

rhaley is on a distinguished road
I have used a Garmin Etrex Legend for the last three years (on and inland lake in GA ) and have been very pleased. Pretty available (Wal-Mart used to sell them) inexpensive too, so an impromptu trip over the side isn't a bank breaker.
Good Luck!
Old 08-03-2007

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
I like Garmin 12 & the 12XL. They're probably obsolete but are really really idiot proof. So if you're not like me, then you could get Garmin 72 or 76 or those newer ones. Surprisingly, I still find brand new 12 & 12XL on market. There must be demand for this in my neck of woods.
Old 08-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd say that looking for a Garmin 76C might be a good choice, as it has been discontinued but fits all the requirements you've got. It also floats, is IPX7 water-resistant and has an NMEA 0183 port to connect it to your laptop or a DSC capable VHF radio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-03-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrohde View Post
I don't give a rip about color, but I'd like a screen that is easy to see ...
Colour displays are usually easier to read in bright sunlight, it seems.

Jim
Old 08-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, IIRC, the Garmin 76C has better battery life than the monochrome Garmin 76 for some reason.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-08-2007

patrickbwells is on a distinguished road
I just purchased a Magellan Explorist 210 and am very disapointed. I cant use it with my laptop because Magellan has not written drivers for windows vista. I had to spend countless hours reinstalling windows xp and my software in order to use it. The software that did come with the device is buggy with a poor interface.

Also, their online nautical charts purchasing webpage (bluenav) has been broken since I bought the device (over a week). I have no way of loading any nautical charts onto the device.

Many people have suggested Garmin products and I agree. Stay away from Magellan at all costs!

Edit: The screen came with a very noticeable imperfection (scratch) but because I purchased it mail order I'm not willing to wait weeks for a replacement.

Last edited by patrickbwells; 08-08-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-08-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
A long time ago I made the mistake of spending good money on a Magellan. It was a turd then and it's a turd now. The interface isn't very good, and the signal regularly bouces by as much as 50 ft. That doesn't sound like much, but I geocache a little now and then, and 50 ft. means alot when I'm standing in a bunch of thorns looking for something that isn't there.
Every Garmin I've ever owned or used has been a quality product. They also have good product support, and offer constant updates. You just hook the unit(or card reader) up to your computer and download the latest updates through the Garmin website.

Great, now I'm starting to sound like Cam with the GPS thing.
Old 08-08-2007
Telstar 28

From what I've seen, the Garmin units have the best and easiest UI to use, are more durable and more accurate than many of the other brands...and more versatile in many cases.

Telstar 28
New England