Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-04-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Companion Door Storage, Need Your Ideas

OK, here is the deal.

I have a big companion door made of transparent plastic thing (plexi?? I don't know the name). I need YOUR VALUABLE ideas on where to store it when we are sailing.

Normally I remove it and just lay it flat in one of the aft beds. It stays there pretty much stable, even in rough seas, but it occupies space and its pissing me off.

Its big and relatively heavy. Please see photo bellow, its the brown one on the left of the photo on the cockpit floor.

And this is where it goes.

My wife chose the colour and the material, so there is no way I am buying another one, and most defenately will not put a wooden one, or a two piece one. Altough the idea crossed my mind, at least when we're cruising.

So please shoot your ideas, I am listening....

Where shall I put it? In my previous boat, I had a "shelf" made with 2 tracks similar to the ones on the companion way, embeded in the ceiling of the aft cabin, and that was where I used to store it.

On this boat, I am not driling holes in the cabis ceilings, so that is out of question..

Ideas?? Please??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2007

Leopold is on a distinguished road
Giu,

There's a trap on floor. Can you hide it there?

At worst you can cut it 2 or 3 parts until it can fit in some storage space and reassemble when you need it.

have fun
-Leopold

oops... you had the cutting idea before I did

Last edited by Leopold; 08-04-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-04-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
How about on the back of a cabin door? My head door latches open into the vee-berth, and I keep mine behind that. Or, instead of on a bunk, put it under the matress.

Back in the water at Deaton's Yacht Service, Oriental, NC

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-04-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
How about simply putting it under the cushion of that aft berth? Out of sight, out of mind, and more secure still.
Old 08-04-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
We have two tracks on the wall next to the companionway ladder. There's about 4 inches of clearance between the ladder and the wall, and we can slide them down there into the tracks.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 08-04-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
OK, I have used the "under matress" technique, but its not easy when you're cruising in and out of marinas and have to close the boat everytime we get out to dinner or go to the beach. It is a pain. Besides sometimes we have people in those rooms. And space for something that big is not easy, without compromising the "scenery"..

I post a few more photos of my companion way inside..so you see what my problem is. I thought of making a 2 part door, and use that one when cruising. May be I have to go thet way.

Open Stairs

John, the companion door is wider than my inside doors, unfortunately. And Leopold, I thought of puting it in the sail locker in the cockpit, but its not practical, its full with sails when racing and full with junk when cruising. Besides its where ther raft is, so access needs to be clear.

Have a look...PLEASE WHERE'S the $1.000.000 idea??
Old 08-04-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
This door is a always nuisance for me also.
I have seen mounts for it on several places:
One of the better mounts were:
- on the bulkhead inside the shower stall - one of my favorites as in hot weather we rarely use take the shower inside and in cold weather the door is closed most of the time, so it kind of win - win.
- on the bulkhead inside the rear cabin (over the engine inspection door). I do not like it mounted on the inside of the cabin door a) it is usually wider then the door and b) not so easy to get out when you need it.

Most often I saw them cut horizontally in two pieces. This enable you to put it inside the cockpit locker (in designated tracks)where it is easy accessible and out of the way. Additional advantage of having the door in two halves is, that you can only install lower portion if you want.
But if Giulietta want is in one piece - well I would go for the shower mount.

Beneteau Oceanis 473

full time cruising
Old 08-04-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Looking at your pictures:
If the hatch on the cockpit floor is big enough I would mount it on the bottom side of that door . perhaps trying to glue the mount points to avoid making holes in your boat.

Or: at your cruise speed you can drag is behind the boat and Fred can water water-ski on it.

Beneteau Oceanis 473

full time cruising
Old 08-04-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
When your sailing, shouldn't the companion door be closed or in place ?
Old 08-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
When your sailing, shouldn't the companion door be closed or in place ?

Well yes in smaller boats, where water might migrate in, or in really really bad weather, when waves sweep the deck...

Other than that, its open all the time. I think everyone follows this...well maybe SD for some obscure reason doesn't.