Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-06-2007

kidg is on a distinguished road
Battery Location

Hello,

I have a 1976 Catalina 27 on which I'm in the process of upgrading the electrical system.

I would like to move the batteries from their current location in the port cockpit lazerette to a place inside the cabin beneath the port settee. The boat has an inboard Atomic 4 gas engine and I am wondering if I need to take any special precautions having batteries charging in essentially the same space as the engine. I've read several articles that mention the need for good ventilation when housing batteries in the cabin, but they don't mention whether the setup involves a boat with an outboard, a diesel, or an inboard gas engine.

It's not like my boat is airtight but I'm not sure if it's properly ventilated either. Would something like a solar hatch vent be sufficient or should I just leave well enough alone and continue hanging upside down while working on my batteries?

Thanks to everyone in advance for any suggestions.

Greg
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
As long as the batteries are in a battery box, I don't see it being a major issue. A small ventilator would help keep the compartment well-ventilated, which would prevent the buildup of hydrogen gas, and help keep the temperatures lower, which helps the alternator and other engine accessories work better and last longer. Batteries are often stored in engine compartments and isn't really a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook