Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-16-2002

lapkanash is on a distinguished road
Painting with 2-part polyurethane

I''m getting ready to paint my topsides and deck with 2-part polyurethance (Interlux Interthane Plus). Does anyone have any suggestions for problems to watch out for? On the one hand Don Casey and the manufacturer say that it is not that difficult, but I''ve also heard a couple of horror stories from folks at my marina about how hard it is to apply. I''m looking for a good finish--not a mirror, like new job.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2002

thomasstone is on a distinguished road

two part looks alot better if it is sprayed, and is mostly used by the professional,although I have seen some ok awl-grip jobs done by roll and tipping.Have you thought about using a one part poly (brightside). This is a little easier than the two part and is usally recommended for the joe-sailor.
thomas
Old 03-17-2002

paulk is on a distinguished road

We used Interthane Plus for our deck (soon to be four seasons ago). Interlux was very helpful with printed instructions and "hand-holding" over the phone. Cannot agree with Tom about brightsides. We tested a patch on deck and found that it did not stand up well to use and needed repainting in less than a season. Repainting an entire boat is a BIG job, and you want a paint that will last a LONG time so you don''t ever have to do it again. Take the time to do it right. I took an entire day just to mask off the deck fittngs on our J/36. Sanding before and between coats took only a little less long. Waiting for the right weather/temperature/ wind is also crucial - and can add time. I was amazed at how well the primer filled and leveled gelcoat crazing, and how good the finished deck looks. The only change I''d make if doing it again would be to use the maximum amount of nonskid in both coats on deck, instead of 3/4 in the first. Using a 6" foam roller (Home Depot sells them in contractor''s packets of six or so) worked very well -- tipping after rolling was not necessary on the deck.
We did not do the topsides -- they''re due next. Sags and runs are obviously more of a problem on the vertical surfaces. Other owners in our harbor have done their own boats, with good results. Preparing the surface seems to be the prime ingredient. A good paint job will make cracks and dings stand out even more, while a poor paint job won''t hide them either, and will look bad all over.
Happy sailing! (and painting?)
Old 03-17-2002

thomasstone is on a distinguished road

I think no matter what you use , I agree priming and sanding is key. If I would have known how well it fills in I could haved saved alot of time sanding.Brightside poly is a very good product when I bought my boat there was a can of it on thier already and I just slapped it on and it still looks okay.Paulk, I think no matter what you would have used on a test patch it would have worn off. I am on the hard right now and alot of people are re-painting thier boats with different ideas of "doing it right."The commercial fishing boats slapp on what ever is on sale, usually a pre-mixed poly.The thinking is no matter what they use it is going to need to be re-done every couple of years anyways regardless if they use a two part or a pre mix. The guy on the side of me his idea of doing it right is a zillion coats of primer followed by endless sanding in between coats, then letting the yard spray a two part poly in thier climate controlled ware house.This time for me my idea of doing it right is removing all of my deck fittings sanding priming then using a two part poly( awl- grip) on my decks and cabin top I will use a pre mix poly (brightside) on my hull since the other guy on the otherside of me his Idea of doing it right was spraying brightside poly and he gave me an extra gallon.
thomas
Old 03-18-2002

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road

My deck and coachroof was just painted using Interthane Plus in the fall. It looks very good.

From my personal experience I would suggest that you either Roll/Tip or do the prep work yourself and have it professionally sprayed.

I attempted spraying myself and found that the 2 Part Polyurethane requires some knowledge of spraying. I had great success with the primer but found that Interthane Plus went on with a gritty texture if sprayed thinly and was prone to sags, runs and an extended cure time if sprayed more thickly. With all of the elbow grease involved in prep work it is a good idea to have someone else spray.

The reason for the grittier texture was apparently the fast curing solvent that is necessary for spraying. I also attempted roll/tip method on several hatch covers and was pleased with the result.

The end result of spraying myself was an affirmation of the benefit of a professional and a lot more sanding for myself! After a significant effort to re-sand the entire deck I hired a professional to apply the spray and the deck looks great!

Check out sailnet.com articles for an excellent discussion of repainting your topsides.

One final comment.
Although I am very very pleased with the Interthane Plus product the Builder that I hired uses Awlgrip. In retrospect it would have been smarter to use the product that the boat yard is most familiar with to achieve the best results.

Good luck with your project. The results will be amazing!

Mike
Old 03-18-2002

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road

Another comment about potential problems.

Be very attentive to temperatures and weather forecasts. According to the manufacturer it is OK to apply a bit below the 10 degree celsius (50 F) recommended (maybe 8 deg C) but the dewpoint is a very important factor. Stay at least 4 deg celsius above dewpoint. Biggest problem with lower temps is lessening of gloss and increased cure time.

Temperatures should remain at or above minimum temp for 8 hours after application. If you do all the work and then it rains you could have "fisheyes" (more likely on a horizontal surface) or other problems.

Mike
Old 03-18-2002

lapkanash is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your tips. I''ll especially keep you temp/humidity advice in mind. I''ve been doing everything I can to prepare the surface--removing fittings, filling bad patches in the deck with epoxy, etc. I want to get it ready and then wait for the weather to hit just right in May.
Old 06-04-2002

yellow moon is on a distinguished road

If it is not too late, I''m in the middle of a similar project on my 28'' sloop. After reading all of the Awlgrip data and Interlux product data, as well as 2 part or single part deliberations, I chose "Interlux TOPLAC" their single part "Silicon resin copolymer" material but superior to brightside with longevity closer to Interthane plus. Talk to Interlux about it. I did my transom last weekend (roll and tip)and was impressed with the high gloss and excellent flow charcteristics. Easy to apply, or at least so far so good in my case.It applies over the single part primer.
Old 06-05-2002

toplacsucks is on a distinguished road

Tried Toplac from interlux....IT WAS A TOTAL NIGHTMARE. Interlux tech never answers the phone and if you do get through the will tell you it''s your fault. Paint run very easily. It is VERY VERY Hard to work with and, most stores seem to have stopped stocking it. I would suggest calling Pettit. They were very interested in helping and their easy poxy is much easier to work with. Once again Beware of Toplac; you will not be happy and painting a 36 foot boat is not something you want to do twice;and then have the company tell you it''s your fault.
Old 06-05-2002

toplacsucks is on a distinguished road

Tried toplac.....Total night mare. Paint runs very very easy and found tech support no help...Sanded off as
much as possible and recoated with Petit. Much easier to use and the tech people we great. Interlux was NO help, and even the old yard guys could not keep the Toplac from running. Everyone is making nice comments about the Pettit.....They laughedat the boat with the Toplac....good luck.