Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-17-2002

DotCalm is on a distinguished road
Zodiac Repair questions

Hi everyone,

I''ve got a 6 year old Zodiac tender ''Poor Man''s Yacht'', that has finally moved up in rank to an actual tender for my recently acquired first sailboat, Dot Calm, a ''77 O''day 25. The poor little zodiac has been through some tough times, and is suffering from some slow leaks and some small seam problems with the back corner of the floor pealing away and letting the boat fill with water.... no fun

I have sent it in for reapirs already once, where they took care of a major problem, (repairs took over 1 month) but it seems as if she is in that zone where repairs will be a routine project, and I want to be able to do it myself from here on out and not depend upon someone else anymore.

I am wondering if anyone has any good tips for repairs of their Zodiacs. I have ordered some PVC material from the Sailnet store, as well as some of the HUGE 1/2 oz. tubes of glue. Since this is PVC, am I able to use the same PVC cement that can be bought at Home Depot for PVC pipe work? I''m looking for any tips, suggestions, experien ces, time saving tips, etc. to help me keep my old friend operational without having to send her in for repairs.

Thanks a lot for all help!

Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2002

thomasstone is on a distinguished road
Zodiac Repair questions

The glue is different ,you need to use the special glue your patches come with. Always cut your patches in circles so there is no corner to peel up. You can pinpoint leaks with dishwashing soap and water, just apply over suspect area and it will bubble . When you do a patch ruff it up a little with sand paper and apply liberal amounts of glue to dingy and patch.
thomas
Old 03-18-2002

DotCalm is on a distinguished road
Zodiac Repair questions

An update- I just spoke some VERY helpful people at Solution 1 Maritime in Tampa, and they gave me the entire run down on what to do and will be outfitting me with all the necessary supplies to do the repairs. I will be buying a pint of special glue, a few feet of Zodiak material, as well as buying some MEK locally to prepare the surfaces prior to repair. The folks at this facility were extremely helpful, and provided me with better material selection and information than anyone else has been able to do, and also provided me with much better options than I had found anywhere on the Internet, even at the Zodiac site itself. Their phone number is 813-241-6654. Highly recommended for any Zodiac repair questions/supplies. -Paul
Old 07-11-2009

Chops835 is on a distinguished road
I have a Zodiak inflatable boat, have had trouble patching it and ALMOST completly frustrated with this PLEAE HELP ANYONE!!!! it has leaks in the rear portion, at the tips on the rear, can anyone PLEASE teach me how to repair these properly , I have tire dSOOOO amny things im almost ready to sell the boat .. thanks .. I can be reached
Old 07-11-2009

I can bereached at the yeah hoooo site please help !!!!!!!?????????
Old 07-11-2009

Im chops835 at the yA HOO SITE
Old 07-15-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
First, reviving a five year old thread isn't the best way to start asking for help.

Second, it would help if you said what kind of Zodiac boat it is... hypalon or PVC at a minimum... make, year, and model would be even more useful, since some particular models have particular issues.

Welcome to Sailnet. I'd also highly recommend you read this POST to help you get the most out of sailnet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.