SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   mounting chartplotter (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/36033-mounting-chartplotter.html)

ArgleBargle 08-13-2007 10:47 AM

mounting chartplotter

Hi

I want to mount a chartplotter (havent bought yet, looking at Raymarine C80) on the pedestel tubing (inverted U shaped stainless tubing) around the binnacle. tubing appears to be 1-1 1/4 inch, 12" spacing. i see those "Navpods", but they look like an invitation to thieves. i really want it in the cockpit.

questions are (a) are those Navpods secure? (2) how hard is it to take the whole thing out at the end of the day so its not just sitting there & (d) is there another, better way to do this?

thanks much in advance.

cheers

-shane

Freesail99 08-13-2007 10:58 AM

On my boat, I used a 3 x 12 inch piece of teak mounted to the top of the pedestal tubing using 2 stainless U bolts. I mounted the chartplotter to that. It up nice and high right in front of the wheel.

sailingdog 08-13-2007 11:04 AM

Generally, having expensive electronics out where the thieves can see them is an invitation to theft or vandalism. If you really want the chartplotter in the cockpit, one possible option, depending on the size of the boat, your eyesight and the size of the chartplotter is putting it on a swing arm, so that it can be viewed both in the boat, or in the cockpit, through the companionway. I know many boats that have theirs setup like this, including mine. However, this is only practical on smaller boats in general. But this setup allows the chartplotter to be swung into the cabin when the boat is locked up.

The other option is to mount it in either a navpod or on a platform as Freesail has done, and then to disconnect the cables and bring the unit into the cabin when the boat is closed up. Most of the chartplotters use one or two modular cables with a quick disconnect end, and can be mounted on a bracket that has thumb screws or the like to allow it to be quickly dismounted.

Freesail99 08-13-2007 11:09 AM

The chartplotter does disconnect very easy and can be stored below when not aboard the boat.

sailingdog 08-13-2007 11:27 AM

The one thing you'd have to do in that case is make sure you spray the contacts and cables with a good anti-corrosive contact protector chemical.

BarryL 08-13-2007 11:43 AM

RAM Mount

Hello,

Check out RAM Mounts

http://www.ram-mount.com/marineelectronics.htm

I have used them and their products are very good.
You can mount the plotter on the pedestal guard and
be able to remove it in a few minutes.

Good luck,
Barry

Freesail99 08-13-2007 11:53 AM

The ram mounts look like a wonderful product. However on my pedistal, I don't have the space to mount the ram mount. That is the reason I did what I did. I also wanted my chartplotter mounted on the pedistal, because my eyes are not 20 anymore .....

Vasco 08-13-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgleBargle (Post 179161)
Hi

questions are (a) are those Navpods secure? (2) how hard is it to take the whole thing out at the end of the day so its not just sitting there & (d) is there another, better way to do this?

thanks much in advance.

cheers

-shane

Shane,

Navpods require a special key to open, something like an allen wrench but different. I would not hesitate using one but I would put a canvas cover over the pedestal when not on the boat. Less temptation.

SanderO 08-13-2007 01:55 PM

As I don't spend lots of time behind the helm... the auto pilot steers.. I don't see the point of having one and only one chart plotter mounted back there. A C80 makes more sense below decks at a nav station and if you must have a chart plotter at the helm.. get a small portable one when you can take with you.

Sure for big boats with oddles of electronics it's cool to have MFDs all over the place. And I suppose if you are always behind the helm because you don't use an autopilot if you need to see a plotter... at the helm it must be.

However, I would consider getting an auto pilot and find a better location for a plotter. I'm not saying that a plotter isn't handy in the cockpit... but I think the smaller hand held ones actually make more sense. And they can be in removable fix mount too.

jef
sv shiva

Cruisingdad 08-13-2007 02:43 PM

My experience:

I have and always will use the Navpods. I am not saying the others are wrong or right, I just like the products and they are well made for day/night/dry/wet. I know this may contradict some of the things above. Also, I do, as was posted above, keep a canvas cover on it.

THe nav pod will not be stolen easily. It will take time and effort. If they are willing to take that much time, the truth is that they will likely have the time to go down below too. I have had an outboard stolen, never any electronics.

Also, the point was made about using a CP in the cockpit versus the nav station. On that fact, my experience is considerably differnt. If I could only choose one place, it would definitely be in the cockpit. You can't stad watch from down below and when offshore the radar will see things long before you do. Also, when navigating in close and tight areas that are unfarmiliar, I have found it a very valuable aid. I remember going down the ICW one night in pitch black darkness. The radar picked up nuns and cans that were not on the CP and did not show markers that should have been there. Depending on the area you cruise, getting slightly out of the ICW will put you on the hard.

I hope that answers your question(s). I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here... just opinions.

- CD