Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-16-2007

reluctance is on a distinguished road
Yamaha 9.9 fresh water flush

I have a 25ft sailboat that I recently acquired. I keep it in the water at a marina. Could someone tell me how to fresh water flush the engine after use. Its a yamaha 9.9 1997 model with electric start, long shaft and romote controls.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
You will need to get an attachment for your hose to clamp over the water inlet slots in the lower unit. Any marine store should have them. It's very simple, just turn the water on so you have good flow to the engine and then start it and run for a little while. If you are in salt water I would recommend also buying a Salt Away kit so you can neutralise the salt in the engine as well at the same time. Also available at marine supply store.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 08-16-2007

conrat66 is on a distinguished road
What is SAlt away kit...........How does that work.........where purchased..........how much money............ Sailing in Salt Water for 25 yrs now never heard of one Never had a problem but heh????????????
Old 08-17-2007
Courtney the Dancer

Salt Away is a brand name for a salt removal product. There are several on the market, but this is the one commonly used for marine purposes. I've used it for years now to wash down the entire boat. The salt just disappears off deck and hull. I also use it to flush the kicker engine on our fishing boat(wish I could figure out a way to flush the diesel). It is also used to wash the salt off of salt spreading equipment and snow plows. Seems like a good product to me. Their website has a pretty convincing before /after picture of the heads of engines with and without it. I think it is probably saltaway.com, not sure. W Marine carries it:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...&classNum=null

Old 08-17-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrat66 View Post
What is SAlt away kit...........How does that work.........where purchased..........how much money............ Sailing in Salt Water for 25 yrs now never heard of one Never had a problem but heh????????????
My mechanic says the Salt Away product is bullsh*t and completely unnecessary. Here is a flusher attachment for small outboards, often called "earmuffs" for obvious reasons:
Old 08-17-2007
Courtney the Dancer

Red face

Fastbottoms- I'm not pushing Salt Away, I've just used it for years and seen first hand what the difference is between washing with fresh water and using SA. Your mechanic is entitled to his opinion, but I question if he has ever actually used any of the many salt neutralizing products on the market. My mechanic told me that Volvo Penta tried to buy the Salt Away company so they could use it in their engine flush systems. My experience is that the difference between a fresh water wash and using the SA is like night and day. There is ususally still some buildup of salt crystals with just fresh water unless you spend a long time at it. With the SA it's all gone. To each his own but if fresh water alone doesn't remove all the salt on a hull, then I would think it stands to reason that it won't remove it from inside the cooling system of an engine any better. Seems like cheap insurance to me. Also, these products are primarily sold and used for de-salting salt and sand spreaders where it is generally accepted as standard procedure by almost all municipal public works departments(I operate four snowplows as part of my business-we use SA on them, that is where I first heard of SA). But like I said, I'm not pushing it, just passing on my own personal observations.

Old 08-17-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
my yamaha 8h has a fresh water flush attachment already built in that allows you to flush the system after using the engine while it is turned off. Your manually should clue you in on if you have one and how to use it.

You can view the manuals online at the yamaha website.

Last edited by tenuki; 08-17-2007 at 03:03 PM.