Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-18-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
The type of paint you use is going to be largely affected by weather or not you can find out what is on it now, and how you intend to use the boat. Many paints are not compatible with other paints and would require you fully sand off the old before you could apply them. Other paints can be appied over anything. See the Interlux application guide for a reference. (They also have phone tech support if you should need it.)

As for the amount you need, probably in the area of 2-3 qts. somewhat depending on the type of pain(t) you decide on. Some tend to go farther than others.
Old 08-18-2007

29cascadefixer is on a distinguished road
Price -wise, Kirby Paint Co. makes a bottom paint at about ( if my memory serves) 70 bucks a gallon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I would suggest that the yellow...especially if it does not seem to flake off may be an epoxy barrier coat rather than anti-fouling. If so...don't sand it off!!
Just sand down the top coat so you don't have stuff flaking off and put a GOOD paint on (like Petit Trinidadn SR). You are in warm, nutrient rich waters and need something that will LAST since it is a helluva lot more expensive and a big pain to do twice as often. I used to own a C22 and once you do the bottom...you will NOT want to tackle it again soon!! There is a HUGE difference in cheap paints and good ones for those of us in Southern waters so don't cheap out!
Old 08-18-2007

canoeman256 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I wondered if the yellow was a barrier coat. It won't rub off on your hand like the blue will. I hate the thoughts of having to paint it, but I'm entirely too cheap to hire it done!!! I'll let ya'll know how the project progresses.

Thanks to all
Old 08-19-2007
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
i knew i had read a review on bottom paints recently, so i went back through my Practical Sailor magazines and found their article in the Feb 2007 issue. they had compared paints in Ct and Fl...i think they may have an update in their Sept 2007 edition which is due out soon.
i think bottom paint unfortunately is in the "you get what you pay for" category...cheap bottom paint will do a lousy job of keeping critters and ick from your hull.
i was talking with some guys that work in the marina, and one told of something he'd seen years ago at a boat show..apparently someone designed these sheets that looked like circuit boards. he said ugly as sin, but effective, i think, (based on the way he described it) the strips somehow created their own current and i can only deduce that it kept the offensive growth away.
i keep hoping someone will develop an affordable, effective paint that lasts for years..
Old 08-19-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctuarysam View Post
i keep hoping someone will develop an affordable, effective paint that lasts for years..
I had lunch last week with a guy who claims to have devolped an anti fouling coating (not a paint) that lasts for 18 years and never needs cleaning. Says he's ready to go to market with it.
Old 08-19-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I had lunch last week with a guy who claims to have devolped an anti fouling coating (not a paint) that lasts for 18 years and never needs cleaning. Says he's ready to go to market with it.
This sounds like a great thing. Would appreciate any more info you get....
Old 08-19-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
This sounds like a great thing. Would appreciate any more info you get....
This guy (a self-admitted eccentric) plans to revolutionize the way boat hulls are kept clean. He says his product (a copper-loaded, wax-based coating, I think) will last for 18 years and never needs cleaning. It would require specialized application equipment and personnel, as it goes on at 350 degrees (according to him.) His idea is that the boat owner enters into a long-term agreement with him, paying over the length of the agreement not only for application of the product but for regular maintenance (what that would entail, I have no idea) by divers trained by him to know what to look for in terms of product failure. These divers would report to him, and the customer, on the condition of the anti fouling.

Anyway, he promised to send me information about this supposed "magic bullet". Assuming he does, I'll pass it along.
Old 08-20-2007

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
I would guess if the blue rubs off it is ablative. VC whether VC 17 or VC Offshore are hard paints and not designed to overcoat unknown paints or ablatives. You would need to remove all the old paint down to barrier coat to overcoat with VC17 or VC Offshore. In addition these are race paints and very expensive. If you want an ablative race paint go with Micron CSC - also fast but ablative - unfortunately very expensive as well.

2 quarts will do a Catalina 22. Do you have a trailer? Why wouldn't you haul it out once every 2nd year or annually to refresh your paint? Is not a big job.

Mike
Full Tilt 2
Old 08-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I can't see how a wax-based coating would hold up for any significant period of time. Waxes just aren't hard enough to wear for any extended period of time IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
This guy (a self-admitted eccentric) plans to revolutionize the way boat hulls are kept clean. He says his product (a copper-loaded, wax-based coating, I think) will last for 18 years and never needs cleaning. It would require specialized application equipment and personnel, as it goes on at 350 degrees (according to him.) His idea is that the boat owner enters into a long-term agreement with him, paying over the length of the agreement not only for application of the product but for regular maintenance (what that would entail, I have no idea) by divers trained by him to know what to look for in terms of product failure. These divers would report to him, and the customer, on the condition of the anti fouling.

Anyway, he promised to send me information about this supposed "magic bullet". Assuming he does, I'll pass it along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.