Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-20-2007

justified is on a distinguished road
Atomic 4 shut down problem

I have a '78 atomic 4. I have replace the fuel pump and filter. When I run for around 2 hours it just shut down , like it's getting a vapor lock, I give it a rest and it will restart . any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2007

jldooley is on a distinguished road
i'm no expert, but even i need more info. Is it a gas or diesel engine? how long a 'rest' is required. complete cool down or just a 5 minutes? have you tried checking the fuel tank vent? is it clogged? what if you open the tank immeidately after shutdown is it stuck tight? does it make sucking sounds?

if gas: how old is the carburator? how clean? how about the points are they old ? foulded?
Old 08-20-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
If it doesn't restart right away, I would look at replacing the coil. If it does start up again right away, look to see if the vent is clear. After that, look at the fuel itself. If it's an ethanol blend and you haven't added a fuel stabilizer, it could have degraded. The other likely possibiilty is the carburator. I've been having the same trouble with mine, and I have yet to completely solve the problem. It could be fuel starvation, but it's definitely not vapor lock. I'll be monitoring your progress...
Old 08-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
jldooley-

Atomic 4's are all gasoline engines.

Have you checked the fuel filters? Do you have a fuel/water separator? Have you checked the fuel tank vent line for blockages?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-20-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
It's August. I would go with spider webs in the fuel vent line leading to a partial block, which leads to negative pressure in the tank, which the measly 2 PSI fuel pump is eventually unable to overcome.

It's essentially a stroke, in engine terms.

Clean out the goo.

I would vote for the coil failing due to high heat as a reasonable second cause, all else being equal. There are mods (put the coil off the block on the bulkhead, increase the cool air venting to the engine compartment) that can remedy this above and beyond getting a new coil, which is not a bad idea anyway.

I would also clean the carb (or the "crab" as the late, lamented Qshicks, demi-god of Atomic 4 maintenance, called them), but this could just be a band-aid if you actually require a carb rebuild...this can be done, but is fiddly, close work.

Lastly, you should check the tightness (and the doubling) of all clamps and seals in the fuel circuit. If you have a fuel/water separator, make sure it's relatively new, has a greased O-ring, and is dogged down properly. If air is getting in there, it's more a case of an embolism than a "blood clot". This includes torquing down the bolts holding the carb and fuel pump to the block...if a gasket here is failing or "seeping", that could also lead to the cumulative effect you describe, but is less likely IME.
Old 08-21-2007

justified is on a distinguished road
Atomic 4 shut down

Thanks for all the great thoughts. The fuel has enzyme treatment - Fuel filter has been changed twice no water appears in the cup,- fuel pump new this yr.- Carb was rebuilt about 4yrs ago - the coil has not been replaced but it does hang off the front of the block by the alternator. I have tried running with the engine hatch open still have the same prob. I will look at the carb. and the coil.
Old 08-21-2007

Justified,
I know this is hard to really quantify, but how old is your fuel? I put fuel stabilizer in when the tank was about a two-thirds fully, and have still been having problems. I'm wondering if the problem is that there is still some old, degraded fuel in there that's causing the shut down. According to US Boat, the stabilizer isn't capable of stablizing fuel that's already degraded, so I might be SOL. I'm considering pumping all of the fuel out and putting it in my car since I don't give a **** about it. I'll fill up with fresh fuel and stablizer, and drive around the neighborhood with my bicycle in the back.
Old 08-21-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
take this to the bank... replace the coil with an internally ballasted 12volt coil (about 20.00 at NAPA/Pepboys/autozone) chuck the ceramic external ballast (it also may be a "coiled" style resistance wire) overboard, replace with 10-12 guage primary wire and go sailing.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 08-21-2007

CP,
Wouldn't the engine shut off abruptly, as though someone had turned it off? My problem, and I think Justified's problem as well, sound like a fuel starvation shut down. My engine at least just slows down, and then peter's out over the course of five or six seconds. Thoughts?
Old 08-21-2007

rheaton is on a distinguished road
Sir, I have the 78 atomic 4 in a catalina 30. I had the same problem. I got lots of good tips from Moyer marine. These are steps I used to fix my problem. I removed the screen on the end of the fuel pickup in my tank. I added a racor filter after the tank,and finishing filter between carb and fuel pump. I had no filtering system from PO. I replaced the ignition wiring. This was old and had many plug connections. I understand these corrode and fail when they heat up. I also installed electronic ignition. This all cost some $$. Has been running fine since then. Best of luck to you.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.