Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-21-2007

jobrantley is on a distinguished road
Hole through the middle fenders

Hi,
I have just bought a boat and I am getting ready to purchase some dock lines and fenders. Are there any advantages to the hole through the middle fenders over the twin eye fenders? The polyform vs. taylor?

The boat is a Pacific Seacraft Dana 24.....i was probably going to go with 10x26 (a little oversized since I will mostly be singlehandling this boat) How many do you think I should get? and what do you think about the size.

I appreciate any and all suggestions regarding this....thank you

thank you all for your help,

Jon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Jon,

My preference for side fenders are the tie-on at the tops. We had one with the hole through the middle and ended up almost losing it once on a rising tide (got stuck under the dock). You can wrap the fender line around the fender to keep that from happening, but then you risk the line rubbing the boat.

Whatever you do, don't get the fenders with the little finger pumps. THose are a joke in my opinion. Yes I bought them... and ended up filing them via a pump. THe little finger pumping thing is for folks with a lot more time than I have.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-21-2007

thanks CD!
sounds like the twin eye fenders might be the way to go.

Do you have any suggestions on dock lines? Do people generally buy the "premade/prepackaged" ones or do you just buy 150 ft of 1/2 inch nylon rope and cut it yourself?

thank you for your help,
jon
Old 08-21-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Some fenders come with air fill plugs, some do not. In my experience, the air fill plug is the weak point. I had a Taylor where the plug popped in to the fender on the first fill, two weeks old! On the other hand, those you cannot fill get a little flat in colder weather and over time. Pick your poison. I do recommend you try filling /deflating the plug, actually the "needle valve" because you fill with a basketball needle, type fenders soon after purchase while you can still find the receipt or the salesman remembers you buying it!
Old 08-21-2007

thanks sailaway,
i wasn't aware that some of them didn't have an inflation point, so I will check that feature out.

thanks,
jon
Old 08-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Jo-

I'd second CD's recommendation about fenders... and don't get strange foreign fenders with valves that can't be found in this country. The Taylor Hull-gard line are pretty good, as are the Polyform ones.

As for dock lines, I recommend having both three-strand and braided dock lines. The pre-packaged ones are nice, since most have a 12" eye-splice and the ends are pre-whipped. The three-strand lines handle rough pilings better than the braided lines, since the braid tends to get caught on the surface and picked apart. However, the braided lines are softer on the hands generally, and a bit stronger than the three-strand lines.

I would also recommend getting a fender board. A 2x6 that is about six feet long is a pretty good size, and not all that difficult to store. A fender board is very useful when tieing up to a stone pier or one with nasty wooden pilings....

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-21-2007

Sailingdog thanks!

your guys suggestions and advice are really appreciated. As I am getting started here as a first time boat owner I am sure I will have many more questions.

thanks again!,
jon
Old 08-21-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
If you know how to make an eye splice, I'd recommend buying bulk line. Actually, even if you don't know how to make an eye splice, I'd recommend it because you should know how to splice three strand laid line. That way you can make your lines the length you wish. The premade, readily available, are often purchased too short.
Old 08-21-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Jon,

I cut and make all my fender lines.

I buy both the prepackaged for primary and cut and make my own dock lines. I use snubbers where I can for load, but have a secondary line for when they break (as they do break). Buy a snubber one size bigger than your line or it is very difficult getting the line webbed through.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The only reason I didn't recommend getting bulk rope and making docklines from it, is that most people don't know how to splice double-braid, not many more know how to splice three-strand, and new boaters probably don't want to be on the learning curve with something as important as their docklines at least initially.

I do agree that buying fender lines is ridiculous... getting a length of 1/4" or 5/16" line to make them from, makes far more sense. If you really want to learn to eye-splice, you could practice on the lines you use for your fenders.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.