Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-22-2007

VASailor10 is on a distinguished road
iCom Handheld

Hi all,

I have a iCom IC-M72 radio and it doesnt have a squelch button. I have never been able to hear anything. However I just realized I didnt not have it on high so I switched it on high. Although there has been minimal traffic since I have switched it on high I still have not heard anything has anyone else had this problem?

Spencer
Surprise
Old 08-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Please RTFM... Setting the squelch is shown on Page 4.

The manual, should you not have one, is available here. it was on the first page of a google search for "icom m72 manual"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2007

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
I have that radio and would much prefer a separate turning squelch button. It's not a big deal for me since I don't use the handheld that much, but the small squelch electronic button that you push doesn't feel natural and makes it hard to quickly check your volume by turning the squelch down and back. Hopefully iCom reads this thread and will quickly change their design.
Old 08-22-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I bought the IC-M72 because it's submersible, is very loud with low distortion and has the longest battery life of any handheld on the market.

After playing with it a while though, my only disatisfaction with the IC-M72 is the squelch function. Depress a dedicated push-button on the left side of the unit and then turn the top dial to select a digital value - 1 having the lowest signal filter.

The 2-step squelch feature is a bit awkward - but works OK once you get the hang of it.
Old 08-22-2007

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
I bought the IC-M72 because it's submersible, is very loud with low distortion and has the longest battery life of any handheld on the market.

After playing with it a while though, my only disatisfaction with the IC-M72 is the squelch function. Depress a dedicated push-button on the left side of the unit and then turn the top dial to select a digital value - 1 having the lowest signal filter.

The 2-step squelch feature is a bit awkward - but works OK once you get the hang of it.
Hope it is indeed submersible! I bought an ICOM handheld a few years ago (can't remember the model now) and it quit after getting a dose of saltwater!
Old 08-22-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Hope it is indeed submersible! I bought an ICOM handheld a few years ago (can't remember the model now) and it quit after getting a dose of saltwater!
I've not had the misfortune to test it yet, but have no reason to challenge Icom's claims . . . ICOM IC-M72
Old 08-22-2007
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASailor10 View Post
I have a iCom IC-M72 radio and it doesnt have a squelch button. I have never been able to hear anything. However I just realized I didnt not have it on high so I switched it on high. Although there has been minimal traffic since I have switched it on high I still have not heard anything has anyone else had this problem?
If you want to hear weaker and/or more distant transmissions you should turn your Squelch down, not up. Generally you should set the squelch to the lowest possible setting where you don't just hear white noise/static.
Old 08-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Merlin-

I think the OP really needs to RTFM... The high setting on a handheld VHF usually refers to broadcast power—5 watts vs 3 watts or 1 watt, which are medium and low respectively. It has nothing at all to do with the unit's ability to receive VHF transmissions. The squelch, which is "digital" is probably represented by a number on the display. I prefer the Standard Horizon units, which have a real squelch knob...

BTW, the broadcast power isn't always user-selectable on all units. Some frequencies, like 13, which is the bridge-to-bridge frequency are designated for short-range, local communications, and many handhelds will only transmit on these frequencies at 1 Watt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2375 View Post
If you want to hear weaker and/or more distant transmissions you should turn your Squelch down, not up. Generally you should set the squelch to the lowest possible setting where you don't just hear white noise/static.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 08-22-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-22-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2375 View Post
It's instructive here to have the base unit VHF and the handheld monitoring the same channel. The 40 foot or so higher antenna of the base unit (and the likely greater sensitivity) when compared to the handheld with a touch of squelch means you miss a fair bit of traffic merely by using the handheld in the cockpit instead of a remote speaker.

I performed a test once where I went about 6 NM downrange on a Zodiac with an intervening spit of low land between myself and my wife on our main boat with the 40 foot of height. We used a pre-arranged time and channel, and while I could hear her (maybe a 3 out of 5), she missed about 40% of my replies. By contrast, on the handheld and on open water, I am almost always able to reach the CG to report logs, picnic tables and assorted other nav hazards in the water. The same CG cannot frequently hear the handheld (a SH 5 watt "typical" VHF) from the club basin, probably due to nearby buildings and the forest of radio-reflective masts.

This isn't necessarily a problem, of course. 95% of VHF traffic on 16/9 is trivial and rarely needs one's full attention.

But it can help one set the handheld squelch effectively: A perfectly received but distant (say, more than 4-5 NMs) call on the base unit will sound like static with a few faint words littered here and there on the handheld. This is why I usually monitor 16 on the base unit and use the handheld for weather alerts, etc. or for calling other boats within visual range. If I hear a pan-pan or something, I will switch the handheld on deck to 16, but I don't expect to be heard at more than 5 NM of distance by other boats.