Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-22-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Yes, the house battery switch in the "both" positions works well. Mine has been in this configuration for many years. However, be SURE you have very good clean and tight connections and that all cabling is LARGE.

The Iota's are the best buy on the market. They are serious technology from folks who make chargers for many other suppliers.

When you add a separate starting battery, you'll need a way to charge it when at the dock. Batteries go bad chiefly because of failure to keep them FULLY charged at all times. Have a look at the EchoCharge device...it's good technology and well worth the money. There's another very similar device...I forget the name...which also has a good track record.

Your alternator should be connected to the HOUSE bank, not the starting bank. Starting batteries require very little charging...they put out a lot of amps but only for a few seconds, with a total AH draw which is usually very small....alternators are typically way underused. The work for the first few minutes restoring the amps used for motor starting, then idle along the rest of the time. Makes much more sense on a cruising boat to use the alternator for charging the house batteries (especially with an external smart regulator which will get the most from your alternator), and use just a bit of the charging capacity to maintain the starting battery via an EchoCharge-like device.

Good luck,

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2007

stoutwench is on a distinguished road
Seamyst

WOW, Good advise from everyone, BUT you have not stated the primary charging source.

You wrote: "I also have on genset for 110vt power." Will that be your primary or will shore power?

If you will be in a marina hooked to shore power every night, a Xantrex 20 is sufficient. You will be plugged in for 12+ hours overnight and that is sufficient time to charge your bank.

However, if you will be on the hook and using a generator, like a Honda 2000, the 20amp charger is not sufficient. The Xantrex 40 is the minimum. What will be the primary charging source and what other charging sources (wind, solar, generator) will you be using?

Roger

Last edited by stoutwench; 08-22-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2007

jenry is on a distinguished road
Before purchasing a Xantrex - read this!

We purchased the Xantrex truecharge 40 amp for our sailboat. After having it for approximately 3 years and using it only a few times, we charged two batteries and the thing burned up. Our 33' sailboat could have easily burned down! We contacted Xantrex and they put us on hold for so long that I hung up and emailed them. It took them about 2 weeks to respond. Basically they said it was out of warranty but they would replace it at a 40% discount. Not good enough. We went to the Annapolis boat show recently and my husband had the battery charger dangling outside of his backpack with "Lemon" written on it, right below the burn markings. Numerous people came up to us and said they had similar experiences. We decided we'd cut our losses ($460.00 new) and even if they GAVE us another one, we wouldn't take it - our boat is worth a lot more than that! Please look into another charger.
Old 10-25-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
jenry,
I have had a Truecharge 40+ on my boat for three seasons - which I installed after performing exhausting research on every charger on the market. This is the top rated charger for it's intended purpose.

Your claim is the first I have heard on this unit. Just did a quick internet search for any similar reports and could not find one report of burned units. It would be my educated guess that your husband installed it incorrectly.
Old 10-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Another part of the problem could be that the lack of use accellerated the corrosion of the internal parts on the Xantrex. Using a charger will generally allow the electronics to heat up and force out a lot of the residual moisture that may otherwise sit inside the case/housing. Letting it sit for the better part of three years probably wasn't very good for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-25-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ditto that TB and Dawg. I would fault either the installation/improper wiring and or lack of use in a marine environment as the likely cause. Of course, any product can fail or be defective, but there is simply NO evidence of a widespread problem AND it is unreasonable to expect a marine vendor to make good on a product that is 300% past its' warranty period...though at every boat show there are people that seem to feel embarrassment will get them something the are not otherwise entitled to. Unlike boat shows...this forum can't be used like a backpack to foist unsupported claims on the readership.

We have used Heart and Xantrex products for several DECADES without any problems and they consistently garner high marks from cruisers (SSCA) and magazines and also provide a high level of technical support that many other marine vendors would do well to emulate.
I highly recommend them as a quality supplier.
Old 10-25-2007
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
TB, Dawg and Cam, thanks for clearing that up. i am about to install a TC-40+ and the above had me worried for a few.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.