Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-23-2007
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Air Head Composting Toilet

So, is anyone using one of these Air Head composting, non-pump-out toilets? (airheadtoilet.com) What's your experience?

I'm asking because I'm close to purchasing a boat that will need a new toilet anyway (looks like), and I thought it might be nice to not be storing and pumping waste. Then again, the initial cost looks kind of high (>$950).

Thanks.

Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2007
Currently, between boats.

ChicagoNewport27 is on a distinguished road
So let me get this straight: Basically, you're poo'ing into what appears to be a glorified coffee filter, and the pee goes into a jug with a handle?

http://www.airheadtoilet.com/element...s/ahtliner.jpg

And, supposedly, it doesn't use water to flush, just the little paper filter goes into the bin and decomposes, and the solids decompose faster in the absence of urine.

Looks like the only downside is the little fan that has to be constantly running. That, and the spectre of looking at a coffee filter filled with poo before you wince and reach for the flush handle.

Last edited by ChicagoNewport27; 08-23-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2007
Currently, between boats.

ChicagoNewport27 is on a distinguished road
Interesting article about installing the air head:
http://www.marinesurveyor.com/articles/kant06a.html
Old 08-23-2007
Irrationally Exuberant

Granted, I'm a wilderness backpacker, and kind of used to having to deal with the details of pooing. But I can see how this wouldn't be everyone's, er, was going to say "cup of tea" but forget it.

Tom
Old 08-23-2007

scurvy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to scurvy
Hi Arf145!

We actually considered a composting toilet for our Sabre 28', but the dimensions of the Airhead would not come close to fitting the space (they are enormous!)

We did look into a couple of others that were smaller in profile, 3X the money and still required a holding tank and electricity. IMO composting toilets will probably will be the wave of the future, but they still have a long way to go as far a marine applications are concerned.

Maybe check out this site as well:

www.biolet.com

Good luck
Chris
Old 08-23-2007
Irrationally Exuberant

Hey Chris,

Checked out the Biolet site, and their products are slick. Don't know about for marine use though. Their automatic internal cover does take care of some of the icky factor.

The whole thing seems like a neat idea--but the costs alone will probably end the thought for me.

I think they could be the wave of the future too.

Tom
Old 08-24-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Read a bit about them on another forum. Some people had them, a lot of others had been considering them. The comments from those who were using them seemed to indicate that they are okay if you are using the boat constantly, but if it is laid up and the decomposition process stops, it is a bit of a messy situation.
Old 08-24-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
The Wilcox-Crittenden "Head-Mate" Seaclos on our boat no longer pumps water in. (Tho it seems to pretty-well pump at least liquid out.) We've been considering options. We were considering the Lavac, primarily due to The Foolproof Head, and a couple other positive comments here and there. But I had my doubts, many of which turned out not to be unfounded, as I found out in toilet replacement. So now, after a bit more review, we're probably going to replace the current unit with a Raritan PHII. Seems to be the best compromise between cost and performance.

Jim
Old 08-24-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
The Wilcox-Crittenden "Head-Mate" Seaclos on our boat no longer pumps water in. (Tho it seems to pretty-well pump at least liquid out.) We've been considering options. We were considering the Lavac, primarily due to The Foolproof Head, and a couple other positive comments here and there. But I had my doubts, many of which turned out not to be unfounded, as I found out in toilet replacement. So now, after a bit more review, we're probably going to replace the current unit with a Raritan PHII. Seems to be the best compromise between cost and performance.

Jim

You should be able to repair that Wilcox.
A lot less expensive and less time.

Cost is about $60. It is not unusual for seals to go out. Many people swear by the Wilcox because of the ease of its repairability.

http://shopping.msn.com/results/shp/...0,av=2-4205161

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-24-2007
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
My parents have a similar one in their cottage hooked up to a 12v battery and a very small solar panel. It doesn't use much voltage and believe it or not, it doesn't smell. The only maintenance is adding a cup of some type of mixture which looks like saw dust daily and then you empty the tray when it's full. I can see how great it would be on a boat. No more head smell or holding tanks and no more pump outs. It's the way I will go once the heads in my boat go. Good luck.