Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-23-2007
leave blank

EscapadeCaliber40LRC is on a distinguished road
ST60 wind direction broke

Any ideas on fixing this problem ? Wind direction gauge is stuck at 0. Upper unit looks to be swinging with changes in wind direction while indicator doesn't follow. Wind speed indicator looks to be behaving normally however.
Unfortunately the ST60 is mounted inside a wooden box above the companion way that I am having trouble opening with out damage. So no access to the unit backside at present.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
check the connections for corrosion or a bent/broken pin. If the wind speed indicator is working, then it is probably an electrical connection failure someplace. Also, probably worth checking for broken wires too.

If there is a connection at the mast, that is probably the most likely culprit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-23-2007
leave blank

There is some sort of transducer at the top of the mast behind the direction arrow is that what you mean by " connection at the mast " ? I think the wire is contiguous from the mast top transducer to the instrument panel.
Old 08-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There is no transducer at the top of the mast... the wind instruments have a shaft that has a multi-pin connector as its base, and that plugs into a multi-pin socket, and is held in place by a screw-down collar. If one of the pins up there or one of the sockets is badly corroded, then it could prevent just the wind-direction portion from functioning.

A broken wire in the cabling could also do it...

On most boats, there is usually a connection or coupler near the mast partner or step (on a deck stepped mast) to simplify unstepping the mast. I doubt that it is a single contiguous wire, since that would make unstepping the mast very difficult, since the cable would have to be removed to unstep the mast.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-23-2007
leave blank

The mast extends down to the keel where it is stepped. I had my head down in the bilge for other reasons the other day and was looking at the wiring bundle that comes out of the mast. Pretty much a rats nest, I am not sure what I was looking at, as the boat was customized by the prior owner. I didn't happen to see any connections on those wires but I wasn't looking very carefully for that at the time so you may indeed be correct about that. Next time to the boat I will have to look more carefully as well as open up the mounting box.
Old 08-23-2007
Telstar 28

The connector may be inside the mast a little bit...so looking very carefully is probably necessary.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-23-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Your problem is most likely in one of two places, however the mess at the keel step does sound like fun.

SD is right, the most obvious problem is at the top of the mast. The connector is pins that set and then a threaded seal over them. They have a tendency to corrode and not work. That was my problem this spring, fixed by sending someone up the mast to pull the head and use a little steel wool on the corrosion.

The other place is behind the instrument face with a Seatalk connection loose. That was Alex's problem earlier this year. Sooner or later you will have to find a way to get behind the instrument, so you might as well do it before going up the mast.

Have fun!
Old 08-23-2007
Telstar 28

Don't use steel wool... get a fiberglass contact cleaning brush or brass wire brush. Steel wool will often leave little particles of steel behind... which can turn into rust pox on a fiberglass deck... very ugly.

More brushes here.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 08-23-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-24-2007
leave blank

SD and TommT thanks for all the advice. Darn, I knew that going up the mast would probably become an issue on this one.
Old 01-19-2008

sab30 is on a distinguished road
Result??

Just wondering if you resolved the problem...I also have an ST60 wind but the opposite problem...the wind direction is working and the wind speed indicator is spinning but the digital readout is 0..I have tried all the settings but both trup and apparent are 0 so it has to be a connection somewhere...

Sab30