Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-25-2007

chappyonice is on a distinguished road
A little "direction" on the Y-valve...

To this point, we've been using just the marina restrooms when docked and pinching tight when out on our short daysails . That got me thinking, I had better understand how to effectively use the head on our new used boat (1999 Bene 311). Read through the manual for the Jabsco head, no problem there. There is one catch however - we have a Y-valve in the system which directs the flow to either the holding tank or the overboard discharge. In the spirit of making sure we do things responsibly, I need to figure out which way the Y-valve goes before we ever have to use it. I'm linking to a picture of the valve and was curious if someone else had the same model and could explain which setting is which direction. If the red lever points up, does the flow go up? Or would the flow go down because the set of arrows pointing down is exposed when the lever is up? In the pic at the link below, is the flow up or down?

Picture of the Y-valve

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2007

bsfree is on a distinguished road
You could always give a couple of clean flushes and see which direction gets water into the holding tank.
All the best
Old 08-25-2007
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
I can't tell by the picture either. I'd close the overboard discharge thru-hull and then try and pump fluid through the head in each y-valve position. Should flow in one position and meet resistance in the other position. They you'll know.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 08-25-2007

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
I was in similiar predicament. My Y-valve is different make. I found out that when the handle covers one of the arrows, the 2 displayed indicates direction of flow. Maybe you could disconnect one outlet hose to confirm.
Old 08-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It is probably designed so that whichever arrow set is uncovered is the functional setup for the given handle position. If you knew who made the valve, it would be simple to ask the manufacturer if they're still in business.

Many of the newer valves have the arrows on the handle, to make it very clear what is going on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-26-2007

chappyonice is on a distinguished road
Found the answer

Just to close out the thread and provide some documentation for those who might look it up in the future, I went down and did some experimentation today. The exposed arrow path is the path which works. So in the picture, that would be down. I also found that flow down is the through hull and flow up is the holding tank (therefore it is now in the FLOW UP position ).

Thanks to those who replied and happy sailing!