SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   First haul-out (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/36345-first-haul-out.html)

sailhog 08-25-2007 11:50 PM

First haul-out

Sailed my boat down to the yard yesterday with my two little girls, and had it hauled today. No blisters whatsoever. That's a big 10-4. Could the learned pannel give me a quick check/to-do list while she's out of the water? The thru-hulls look good to me. Anything specific I should do in that dept.? Appreciate every last one of you.

NOLAsailing 08-26-2007 12:03 AM

1. Check your zinc(s). If they are at all deteriorated, replace them while the boat is out of the water.
2. Check your cutless bearing. If there is significant side-to-side movement, it may need to be replaced.
3. Check your prop. If it is at all pink or doesn't resonate, it may have had the zinc leached out. If it is dezincified, it will be brittle.
4. Check the keel/hull joint, though if there is a problem there, I'm sure you would have noticed it by now. Likewise with the bottom paint.
5. Check the strut.
6. Check the rudder, gugdeons, pintles, etc.

bestfriend 08-26-2007 12:03 AM

When you paint the bottom, make sure you mark it with "this side down", the yard will really appreciate your attention to detail.:D
And do all the stuff he said above. Plus, if you want to change your stuffing box/packing gland etc., nows the time to do that.

sailhog 08-26-2007 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestfriend (Post 184412)
When you paint the bottom, make sure you mark it with "this side down", the yard will really appreciate your attention to detail.

I'm one step ahead of you, BF! Already burned those words into the hull with a blow torch. Yard guy pretends to be "all upset," then he explains he already knows which side goes down. Pretends I'm stupid. He's good at playing pretend. Real good. The mast, he said, goes straight up in the air. I told you: These guys are good! When the mast is straight up in the air, the bottom is down, in the water. I've got to poop. Be right back.

sailingdog 08-26-2007 12:15 AM

Also, if your through-hulls are bronze, scratch the surface and look at the color. If they appear pinkish, then they're probably starting to de-zincify, and will need replacement.

bestfriend 08-26-2007 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailhog (Post 184414)
I'm one step ahead of you, BF! Already burned those words into the hull with a blow torch. Yard guy pretends to be "all upset," then he explains he already knows which side goes down. Pretends I'm stupid. He's good at playing pretend. Real good. The mast, he said, goes straight up in the air. I told you: These guys are good! When the mast is straight up in the air, the bottom is down, in the water. I've got to poop. Be right back.

Write "I'm with stupid" with a big arrow. Take a picture while he is sanding next to it.

Sapperwhite 08-26-2007 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestfriend (Post 184420)
Write "I'm with stupid" with a big arrow. Take a picture while he is sanding next to it.

Wouldn't that be a great name for a boat?! You could even put the arrow decal pointing up towards the cockpit. Wouldn't it be fun hailing someone?