Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-26-2007

saltypat is an unknown quantity at this point
Simrad autopilot?

Our new old boat is coming along in its rehabilitation. We would like an autopilot. I see that Simrad used to make a wheel autopilot but stopped. You can still but the model WP32.

This appeals to me as it says it is easy to install. (We are staying in the Cheaspeake Bay and not doing off-shore sailing)

My concern is buying a product that has beed discontinued.

Anybody have a Simrad and how do they like it?

Any idea why they discontinued the product?

Any info much appreciated, SaltyPat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2007
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I have one their pilots and it has been great - seems bulletproof and always works, even in heavy winds and waves (15000 lb displacement). I would not hesitate to buy one. I wonder if you would get a good price on a closeout. Did not know they had stopped making them.
Old 08-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SaltyPat-

Is the autopilot you're looking at new or used. If new, it should still be supported and covered by warranty. Provided the unit is designed for your boat's displacement, you should be fine.

Many companies have stopped making wheel autopilots in favor of more robust and reliable below-deck units, that connect to the quadrant instead of the wheel. Being protected means that the units generally have fewer environment-related warranty problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-27-2007

quinlanmw is on a distinguished road
I installed the Simrad wheel pilot WP-30 three years ago and loved it until it started going wacky on me recently. I emailed Simrad last week but haven't heard back. I'm hoping they still support the unit (out of warranty) as I prefer its appearance, simplicity, and ease of installation over the Raymarine.

I did a search on the WP-32 but couldn't find anyone who still stocked it.

Irish
Old 08-31-2007

rljend is on a distinguished road
WP30/32 belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinlanmw View Post
I installed the Simrad wheel pilot WP-30 three years ago and loved it until it started going wacky on me recently.
Irish
The unit starts to act radically when the belt goes bad. Have you changed it out within the last 3 years?

My greatest concern is finding a source for a replacement belt. It's a Dayco and they have a search function on their web site, but my WP30 is currently in storage with the boat so I don't have its number. Does anyone know of a source of belts other than Simrad?
Old 10-12-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rljend View Post
The unit starts to act radically when the belt goes bad. Have you changed it out within the last 3 years?

My greatest concern is finding a source for a replacement belt. It's a Dayco and they have a search function on their web site, but my WP30 is currently in storage with the boat so I don't have its number. Does anyone know of a source of belts other than Simrad?
Yes. I just ordered one from a fellow who sells on eBay, and also on the Classifieds section of the BoatUS site. He sells the replacement belt for $28.50 and $7 shipping on the BoatUS site (slightly less than going through eBay). I'll report back when I get it and install it. I called Simrad and they were out of the belts temporarily and the fellow there actually recommended the eBay guy as a good source of the belts.

His name is Steven White and you can find him on the BoatUS site by clicking on Classifieds, and then Illinois in the state list.

Charleston Yachting also may have some of the belts but they haven't returned my phone call yet. That's owned by Randy Draftz, formerly of Sailnet back during the Boyle days. Randy bought the Sailnet inventory at auction back when, or so I hear.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 10-13-2007

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
To add to the question of simrad autopilot choice, I am considering the WP32 also, but the documentation says it can be hooked up to a Simrad wind instrument, so you can sail at a given degree to the wind, etc. I have no wind, or speed instruments yet, and am considering the different brands of tri data units (Raymarine st-40, st-60, and simrad). Since I will be buying all of this equipment new this winter, how much does it matter to have the same brand autopilot, as wind/speed instruments?
Old 10-13-2007

thekeip is on a distinguished road
Speaking as one who installs and services these things sort of professionally (I'm retired, but like to get my hands dirty), I would tell you that technically, they all talk to one another. As a practical matter though, I've found it easier build on a single brand...it's much easier to get tech support for instance, if you 're placing just one call.

howard keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley