SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Transducers

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
My boat came with transducers, one I think is for a depth sounder, the other is for speed, not mounted nor installer.
However, they are connected to nothing, I mean, only a cable from the top ot the transducer body itself and wired to the aft of the cabin.
How do I know if those works, what type are... I'll try to post a picture (if the site allows me)...
Thanks

#2 ·
The one for speed should have a small wheel on it. The speed the wheel turns tells the instrument how fast you're moving. Turn the instrument on and give the wheel a spin. Does it give you a speed reading? If so, you're in luck. When I tested mine, I got to 10.5 knots. Think you can beat that? :)

I know there is a way to test the depth sounder, but I haven't done that and I'll let someone else chime in on that.

#3 ·
The problem I have is that the system is half system... The trhu hull transducer (The one I supose is for depth sounder) and the other one (indeed with a wheel, not installed) are there without any instrument... The plan is to test them and if they work, maybe if it's possible and affordable, I will complete the system with instruments.
The major issue is that my boat is in Valle de Bravo Mexico and we don´t have reliable yard, so most of the work is DIY projects.
Later, when at home I'll post a picture of the transducers and hope someone can identify them...

#4 ·
The transducers are probably made by Airmar, who makes them for many of the major manufacturers. Unless you know what brand instrument head was supposed to be used with them, identifying the transducer may do you little good.

#5 ·
SD, I'm thinking of getting a GPS-Sounder combo, would you say it's better to install a new transducer specific for the GPS? and get rid of the old one?
Since I'm not sure I will go with the GPS, just a stand alone depth sounder made sense to me initially, but by what you said I think it's better to use transducers specific to system/brand.
Thanks

#8 ·
It may have a different electronics setup, even if they look alike. :rolleyes:

#9 ·
Shoot trhu hull transducer

Ok, since I posted this thread got the transducer.. It a Norcross Hawkeye depth sounder...
Has anyone worked with it? I'm planning on installing it this coming weekend.
I'm thinking on a thru-hull instalation, how ever my boat has a balsa cored hull. I willl "digg" into de ourter layar of fiber glass and then fix it to the boat.
What do you think about this setup?
The transducer also works as a transom mount, but I think it wouldn't work because my boat has a reverse angle in the transome, also I'm not sure if the transducer will be underwater all times.
My rudders is a spade type and I think with the movement, air bubbles will be created.
Any way I'll try different spots, but any information is appreciated.
Thanks
Alejandro

#11 ·
Alec-

You can't generally install a through-the-hull transducer on a cored hull, unless you are planning on digging out all of the core material. If you do remove the inner fiberglass laminate and core material, you will need to replace it with a fairly substantial fiberglass patch. If you do this repair the wrong way, you risk letting water into the balsa core and delaminating the hull-which is a very expensive repair.

It would help if you said what kind of boat you had.. since the hull design will often affect the placement of the transducer. Forward of the keel, as close to the centerline of the boat as possible is probably a good location, but it will depend on your boat's specifics.
Ok, since I posted this thread got the transducer.. It a Norcross Hawkeye depth sounder...
Has anyone worked with it? I'm planning on installing it this coming weekend.
I'm thinking on a thru-hull instalation, how ever my boat has a balsa cored hull. I willl "digg" into de ourter layar of fiber glass and then fix it to the boat.
What do you think about this setup?
The transducer also works as a transom mount, but I think it wouldn't work because my boat has a reverse angle in the transome, also I'm not sure if the transducer will be underwater all times.
My rudders is a spade type and I think with the movement, air bubbles will be created.
Any way I'll try different spots, but any information is appreciated.
Thanks
Alejandro

#12 ·
type of boat

My boat is a Merit 25... balsa cored.
So you think it's better to install a thru hull transducer to avoid a possible mess with the core? To me is somehow the same, I mean, with a thur hull you make a hole in the boat, with a shoot thru, you only digg from the inside to the outer layer.
I was thinking to epoxy the transducer and then fill the gaps with polyester resin to make sure there are no ways into the balsa.
Perhaps it would be easier to try the transom mount and find a spot where the thing gets wet always (underwater)

#13 ·
If you go with a through-hull type transducer, you really need to pot the hole for the transducer and the fastener holes. It is probably a bit less work than trying to install a through-the-hull, interior mount transducer in a balsa cored hull-since you would have to cut the inner laminate skin, remove the core and then grind out the laminate and build it back back to a thickness of solid fiberglass that is strong enough to withstand the forces on the hull, and then install the transducer. The extent of the repair to the hull's interior is probably a good deal more involved than the just potting a through-hull and fastener holes.

I'm not a big fan of transom mount transducers, since they still require a hole through the hull for the wiring, or a really long wiring run, and are far more vulnerable to damage. Also, having a transom mounted transducer means that you'll have no warning of sudden shoaling and if you're not paying attention, have a much greater chance of going aground. With it mounted a bit forward in the hull, you can often get a bit of warning and avoid a grounding by changing course or backing.

My boat is a Merit 25... balsa cored.
So you think it's better to install a thru hull transducer to avoid a possible mess with the core? To me is somehow the same, I mean, with a thur hull you make a hole in the boat, with a shoot thru, you only digg from the inside to the outer layer.
I was thinking to epoxy the transducer and then fill the gaps with polyester resin to make sure there are no ways into the balsa.
Perhaps it would be easier to try the transom mount and find a spot where the thing gets wet always (underwater)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.