Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-27-2007

alecs123 is on a distinguished road
Transducers

My boat came with transducers, one I think is for a depth sounder, the other is for speed, not mounted nor installer.
However, they are connected to nothing, I mean, only a cable from the top ot the transducer body itself and wired to the aft of the cabin.
How do I know if those works, what type are... I'll try to post a picture (if the site allows me)...
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2007

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
The one for speed should have a small wheel on it. The speed the wheel turns tells the instrument how fast you're moving. Turn the instrument on and give the wheel a spin. Does it give you a speed reading? If so, you're in luck. When I tested mine, I got to 10.5 knots. Think you can beat that?

I know there is a way to test the depth sounder, but I haven't done that and I'll let someone else chime in on that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2007

The problem I have is that the system is half system... The trhu hull transducer (The one I supose is for depth sounder) and the other one (indeed with a wheel, not installed) are there without any instrument... The plan is to test them and if they work, maybe if it's possible and affordable, I will complete the system with instruments.
The major issue is that my boat is in Valle de Bravo Mexico and we don´t have reliable yard, so most of the work is DIY projects.
Later, when at home I'll post a picture of the transducers and hope someone can identify them...
Old 08-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The transducers are probably made by Airmar, who makes them for many of the major manufacturers. Unless you know what brand instrument head was supposed to be used with them, identifying the transducer may do you little good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-27-2007

SD, I'm thinking of getting a GPS-Sounder combo, would you say it's better to install a new transducer specific for the GPS? and get rid of the old one?
Since I'm not sure I will go with the GPS, just a stand alone depth sounder made sense to me initially, but by what you said I think it's better to use transducers specific to system/brand.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The transducers are probably made by Airmar, who makes them for many of the major manufacturers. Unless you know what brand instrument head was supposed to be used with them, identifying the transducer may do you little good.
Old 08-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, I would install the transducer specific to the GPS/Chartplotter/Sounder. The reason you don't want to try and use a transducer with an unknown heritage is that you can't be sure what the signal out format is. Airmar sells much the same transducer with several different electronic configuration, even though the physical configuration is almost identical.

For instance, the DST800 Triducer (speed, depth, temp) is made in four different configurations for Furuno, Raymarine, and TackTick. If you had the TackTick one, and bought a Furuno display head, chances are pretty good that it would fail to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecs123 View Post
SD, I'm thinking of getting a GPS-Sounder combo, would you say it's better to install a new transducer specific for the GPS? and get rid of the old one?
Since I'm not sure I will go with the GPS, just a stand alone depth sounder made sense to me initially, but by what you said I think it's better to use transducers specific to system/brand.
Thanks

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-27-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
OTOH, the in-hull Airmar transducer on my Rarmarine depth sounder is identical to the one that I ordered along with my Garmin GPSMap 498.

Jim
Old 08-27-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
OTOH, the in-hull Airmar transducer on my Rarmarine depth sounder is identical to the one that I ordered along with my Garmin GPSMap 498.

Jim
It may have a different electronics setup, even if they look alike.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 09-11-2007

Shoot trhu hull transducer

Ok, since I posted this thread got the transducer.. It a Norcross Hawkeye depth sounder...
Has anyone worked with it? I'm planning on installing it this coming weekend.
I'm thinking on a thru-hull instalation, how ever my boat has a balsa cored hull. I willl "digg" into de ourter layar of fiber glass and then fix it to the boat.
What do you think about this setup?
The transducer also works as a transom mount, but I think it wouldn't work because my boat has a reverse angle in the transome, also I'm not sure if the transducer will be underwater all times.
My rudders is a spade type and I think with the movement, air bubbles will be created.
Any way I'll try different spots, but any information is appreciated.
Thanks
Alejandro
Old 09-11-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
It may have a different electronics setup, even if they look alike.
I wrote "identical" and identical is what I meant. Same model number (P79 - comes in two versions). Is operated on one of the two same frequencies (200KHz - which is one of the two P79 models). Same instruction manual.

If I'd wanted to write "looks identical," I would've written "looks identical." (See? I can do it, too .)

Jim