Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-27-2007

bome is on a distinguished road
trailer axle

Is it possible to add a 2nd axle to a single axle trailer? My H22 is about 500 lbs over the weight limit for the trailer I have and was wondering if this would take care of the problem,or if there are any other solutions without spending 3k for a new trailer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While adding a second axle would help with the weight distribution and the tire loading, it won't do anything about the frame of the trailer. Chances are pretty likely that the frame of the trailer is overloaded too...and this would just encourage you to use the overloaded trailer frame, which is probably both unwise and dangerous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-27-2007
Shaken-not Stirred

capngregg is on a distinguished road
Cool

The timing never seems to be right when you're looking for an inexpensive trailer but if you frequent some of the boat yards they usually have a fixer upper on a trailer from time to time that you can pick up cheap. (usually the yard operator gets stuck with one of these and he'll do anything to get rid of it)

I'm down in Texas (Dallas area) and I bought one of these "Honeys" for $600 just so I could get the dual axle trailer from under it. The boat was beyond economical repair so I stripped out all the running gear and fittings and cut the hull up. (all fiberglass and the dump I took it to had no problem with it) Out of that deal I netted a 351 Cleveland engine with a borg warner 1:1 transmission, a 13x14 nibral bronze prop, a nice SS prop shaft and lots of other goodies that ended up yielding more $$$ than I bought the boat for.

My primary interest is sailing but I love boats and working on them. The trailer needed some work but it was well worth the time and $$$.

Good luck with the hunt.
Old 08-27-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
You'll probably have at least half of that 3K into modifying your existing trailer. If you're going to do that you might as well just build a new one. the problem that you'll have is that most dual axle trailers link the axles via the leaf springs and you're just looking to add an axle. You'll have the devil's own time getting it positioned right, you'll have to move the original axle, to carry the load evenly on each axle.

Now, if you want triple axles cheaply, just find somebody with a new mobile home they've parked permanently. And, you might even keep your eyes peeled for a junk mobile home-then you've got all the steel as well to make a pretty hefty trailer, cheap. You'll save on the tires alone! Look for the trailer park where known meth-amphetemine cooking is taking place; when they screw up they tend to burn off all the spare parts you don't need. (g)

Otherwise, you can probably beef up the trailer you've got. Stiffeners can easily be welded on as well as additional leaf springs. It really doesn't take much to beef it up for another 500lbs capacity.

All these ideas presuppose that either you or a really good friend knows his way around a cutting torch and an arc welder.
Old 08-29-2007

resdog is on a distinguished road
It would be easier to take off the single axle throw it away and replace it with a new tandem axle assembly.
Old 09-06-2007

bome is on a distinguished road
Thanks everybody, but I think I'll have to bite the bullet and have one built. I read in another forum that here in Florida, a trailer for a boat my size has to have trailer brakes.
Old 09-06-2007
Shaken-not Stirred

capngregg is on a distinguished road
Cool

A wise decision. I had one custom built for my powerboat (a 20', 1968 Century Resorter with a 390 cu.in. engine-VERY Heavy Boat) I also needed trailer brakes and they are well worth it.

It ran me about $3,400.00 complete/delivered. If you can swing it get the SS brake rotors and all SS hardware. I'm not around salt water with this one but corrosion is not good. The trailer is also all aircraft structural aluminum I-Beam. Very Light and Very Strong. If available the torsion arm suspension gives a nice ride.

The company that built it is now out of business or I would be glad to share the number. (all of the piece parts are off the shelf, luckily)