Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-28-2007

rperret is on a distinguished road
defender is definitely a well established source. no question about that.

also, I have walked into my local west marine with a defender price - and they matched the price sans shipping. (this is store dependent though).

I've also used Hamilton Marine - AND - if you are a member of the US Power Squadrons - you get a special initial order discount, plus special pricing.

Rick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
along with those already listed;

http://www.go2marine.com

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Last edited by sailortjk1; 08-28-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Fawcett's should have been on my list... But for some reason I keep forgetting them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-28-2007

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
kwaltersmi:

How is the Helms 25 coming along? I think you had a web site set up, but I can't find the address. I'm looking forward to this long weekend to get some sail time in on Rehoboth and Indian River Bays. If you have any questions come up, ask and I'll see if i can help. I've had mine for one year now and learned a lot with a lot more to learn.

Wayne
Old 08-28-2007

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
I'll chime in on behalf of West Marine. Living in Alaska, shipping is ALWAYS a consideration. West Marine has ALWAYS been more than reasonable and, recently, when I misordered the wrong size water heater they picked up the tab for me to return the too-big heater! That's how to go about winning loyal customers.
Old 08-28-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
I have used many of the online vendors listed, with the exception of West because they are almost always the highest priced for like items. I do use the store when I need something now.

HOWEVER, I am surprised that not one person has recommended Sailnet. You know, the site that some seem to live on! You are already there, why not take a look?

The majority of my purchases have been from Sailnet and Defender. I don't think that Sailnet should get a free ride because of this site, but I do think that they should be considered. Prices are all over the board from different vendors on sailing gear. Sometimes Sailnet wins, sometimes Defender, sometimes others. But, give them a shot at your business at least.

Also, I have never had a customer service issue with either Sailnet or Defender. I was lucky not to get caught when the original Sailnet went down, but those troubles have nothing to do with todays Sailnet.
Old 08-28-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I just placed a small order with sailnet after resolving the $50,000.00 ( no lie ) shipping issue for $123.00 sale, lol.
Old 08-28-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
TommyT...thanks for the sailnet plug. I agree that we all need to support the site when they earn our business. Shop and compare and use the phone line if you need to talk to someone. I know they are working hard to improve the store search and product descriptions but anything we can do to help the site without hurting ourselves will be good for the community here in the long run.
Old 08-30-2007

ntheyer is on a distinguished road
You're in Grand Rapids... That means you must ABSOLUTELY go to Wolf's Marine in St. Joseph/Benton Harbor. Their website is basically useless, but the selection and availability of products are outstanding within the store. Prices are consistently 50% and more less than West Marine.

I drive their from Northern Illinois and it is still worth the five hour round trip. They even have a rewards program that rebates 10% back after six purchases! You have to check it out.

I have no personal affiliation with Wolf's, just a VERY happy customer.
Old 08-30-2007

ntheyer is on a distinguished road
I bought an inflatable dinghy last fall from Sailnet. The price was excellent, but I would definitely reconsider in the future. I had a problem with the boat leaking air straight out of the box when I set it up in the basement.

I contacted Sailnet the next day and was told "Sorry, once we ship it, you have to deal with the manufacturer." The manufacturer is in Taiwan with a distributor in CA. Shipping alone would be in excess of $100 at least. I ended up losing my $500 in the deal.

Anyone want to buy a useless, leaky, inflatable dinghy?

Sometimes the really low prices are not so low if there are any problems.

This is not an attack against Sailnet. This is their stated policy and I am just repeating what they told me and what is posted on their site. I gambled that the dinghy would be ok, and I lost.

I ended up buying another dighy from a private party on Craigslist.

Beware of the service policy!

Good luck.