SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Online Supplier Recommendations

4K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  1970Columbia34 
#1 ·
Who do you use to order online supplies for your sailboat?

Obviously, I know about West Marine and Boater's World. What I'm looking for is a reliable online supplier that has sailing-specific products such as wind vanes, winches, cam cleats, halyard lines, etc.

#2 ·
My first choices would be:

Defender.com
Mauriprosailing.com

Specialty sources:

Hamiltonmarine.com BTW, best source for flares with about the lowest price and lowest shipping costs....primarily a commercial fishing vendor
Riggingonly.com Good rigging prices and amazing service.
Landfallnavigation.com— navigation and safety equipment

Alternative vendors:

pyatch.net
team1newport.com
apsltd.com
sailnet.com
westmarine.com

#3 ·
What I'm looking for is a reliable online supplier that has sailing-specific products such as wind vanes, winches, cam cleats, halyard lines, etc.
Ummm... West Marine is not a reliable online supplier for sailing specific products such as wind vanes, winches, cam cleats etc., etc.? That's news to me.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...e&storeNum=null&subdeptNum=null&classNum=null
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...e&storeNum=null&subdeptNum=null&classNum=null

#4 ·
Ok, West Marine has everything but it's always more then Defender. The shipping has also been an issue with West Marine but never for Defender.

Go with Defender, they are the best.

#5 ·
Also, unless you live in Connecticut, Defender doesn't charge Sales Tax, West Marine does... which makes them automatically at least 5% more expensive for me.

My list posted above was based on price, customer service, inventory depth and reliability.

Some of the vendors listed in the alternative group are usually lacking in one of these four criteria.

#11 ·
defender is definitely a well established source. no question about that.

also, I have walked into my local west marine with a defender price - and they matched the price sans shipping. (this is store dependent though).

I've also used Hamilton Marine - AND - if you are a member of the US Power Squadrons - you get a special initial order discount, plus special pricing.

Rick

#13 ·
Fawcett's should have been on my list... :D But for some reason I keep forgetting them.

#14 ·
kwaltersmi:

How is the Helms 25 coming along? I think you had a web site set up, but I can't find the address. I'm looking forward to this long weekend to get some sail time in on Rehoboth and Indian River Bays. If you have any questions come up, ask and I'll see if i can help. I've had mine for one year now and learned a lot with a lot more to learn.

Wayne

#24 ·
Wayne - Thanks for checking up on me! My website/blog is located here: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/dreambegins

I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I move along with the boat. I've been messing around with the standing rigging in my spare time. It appears there are three shrouds on each side of the mast, but the boat has four chainplates/attachment points on the side decks. Any idea what the fourth is for?

Enjoy your long weekend and have a good sail!

#15 ·
I'll chime in on behalf of West Marine. Living in Alaska, shipping is ALWAYS a consideration. West Marine has ALWAYS been more than reasonable and, recently, when I misordered the wrong size water heater they picked up the tab for me to return the too-big heater! That's how to go about winning loyal customers.

#16 ·
I have used many of the online vendors listed, with the exception of West because they are almost always the highest priced for like items. I do use the store when I need something now.

HOWEVER, I am surprised that not one person has recommended Sailnet. You know, the site that some seem to live on! You are already there, why not take a look?

The majority of my purchases have been from Sailnet and Defender. I don't think that Sailnet should get a free ride because of this site, but I do think that they should be considered. Prices are all over the board from different vendors on sailing gear. Sometimes Sailnet wins, sometimes Defender, sometimes others. But, give them a shot at your business at least.

Also, I have never had a customer service issue with either Sailnet or Defender. I was lucky not to get caught when the original Sailnet went down, but those troubles have nothing to do with todays Sailnet.

#26 ·
HOWEVER, I am surprised that not one person has recommended Sailnet. You know, the site that some seem to live on! You are already there, why not take a look?
Actually, I think somebody did. I have checked SailNet for each of the two on-line purchases I've made so far. IIRC, in both cases they either didn't have what I wanted or their price was significantly higher than another reputable on-line vendor. (I honestly don't recall the specifics any more.) Nonetheless: I will continue to check SailNet for future contemplated on-line purchases, as I believe the store deserves our support.

Jim

#17 ·
I just placed a small order with sailnet after resolving the $50,000.00 ( no lie ) shipping issue for $123.00 sale, lol.

#18 ·
TommyT...thanks for the sailnet plug. I agree that we all need to support the site when they earn our business. Shop and compare and use the phone line if you need to talk to someone. I know they are working hard to improve the store search and product descriptions but anything we can do to help the site without hurting ourselves will be good for the community here in the long run.

#19 ·
You're in Grand Rapids... That means you must ABSOLUTELY go to Wolf's Marine in St. Joseph/Benton Harbor. Their website is basically useless, but the selection and availability of products are outstanding within the store. Prices are consistently 50% and more less than West Marine.

I drive their from Northern Illinois and it is still worth the five hour round trip. They even have a rewards program that rebates 10% back after six purchases! You have to check it out.

I have no personal affiliation with Wolf's, just a VERY happy customer.

#20 ·
I bought an inflatable dinghy last fall from Sailnet. The price was excellent, but I would definitely reconsider in the future. I had a problem with the boat leaking air straight out of the box when I set it up in the basement.

I contacted Sailnet the next day and was told "Sorry, once we ship it, you have to deal with the manufacturer." The manufacturer is in Taiwan with a distributor in CA. Shipping alone would be in excess of $100 at least. I ended up losing my $500 in the deal.

Anyone want to buy a useless, leaky, inflatable dinghy?

Sometimes the really low prices are not so low if there are any problems.

This is not an attack against Sailnet. This is their stated policy and I am just repeating what they told me and what is posted on their site. I gambled that the dinghy would be ok, and I lost.

I ended up buying another dighy from a private party on Craigslist.

Beware of the service policy!

Good luck.

#21 ·
I got my order yesterday from Sailnet. I had asked them to try and get it to me for the weekend. Good job guys, thanks.

#23 ·
I never order from Fawcetts --- It gives me a reason to visit Annapolis!!! :D

I've had good experience with Defender as well. You gotta love that they extend their big warehouse sale prices to internet shoppers. I bought my BBQ from them during the sale and got as good a deal as I'd seen at the boat show in Annapolis.:cool:

One other place I've had good experience with for spar parts is Rig-Rite:

http://www.rigrite.com/

#25 ·
Who do you use to order online supplies for your sailboat?
I haven't yet had to buy much that was "sailboat-specific," so to say. So far I've purchased my Weems & Plath plotting tools from MarineTech Boat Supply, who is, I believe, nearby to you, in Grand Haven, MI. Excellent service and prices actually lower than just about anybody else. I bought my Garmin GPSMap 498 GPS/chartplotter/sonar from Hodges Marine Electronics. Also top-notch service and pricing below that of any other reputable vendor. For the odds-and-ends I've found myself needing, I've mostly just stopped by the West Marine that's right down the road from where we're docked. Bought some line for warps, a cleat, and my charts at Mike's Marine. (Dunno if they're just local/regional.)

That's about it, so far.

Jim

#28 ·
For Rigging, I always call Rigging Only first and sometimes no where else, I know thats not a good idea but when the past 5 times they have destroyed competition, so there is no reason wasting time calling other places. Example Forespar wisker pole Defender $720+ $230 Shipping=$950, Rigging only $580+$100 Shipping=$680 plus I had it in 6 days.

Also recommend Tom at Midwest Industial Coatings, for anyththing awlgrip or interlux, he was great help when we were painting out boat.

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.