SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   What is best for a Ham operator in reguards to email. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/36423-what-best-ham-operator-reguards-email.html)

Fearless 08-28-2007 04:01 PM

What is best for a Ham operator in reguards to email.
 
I installed an ICOM 802 and Pactor III modem. Both my wife and I got our technition license and my wife got her general license. All this and I still have no idea how to use the radio, that is the next step. I have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me with.

1. Besides our Ham license and ship license do we need something for SSBor any other offical paperwork? The radio has both Ham and SSB.

2. I want to use my radio for weather info and email. What is the best, most reliable, fastest service for the South Pacific? I dont mind spending a few hundred for Sailmail but if Winlink or something else is better I would be happy to save the cash.

3. How many countries restrict the use of this type of equiptment? How do you find out, do you have to do something special when you check in?

I am obviously a rookie radio guy. Any information concerning this type of equiptment on a cruise would be greatly appreciated.

sailingdog 08-28-2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearless (Post 185579)
I installed an ICOM 802 and Pactor III modem. Both my wife and I got our technition license and my wife got her general license. All this and I still have no idea how to use the radio, that is the next step. I have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me with.

1. Besides our Ham license and ship license do we need something for SSBor any other offical paperwork? The radio has both Ham and SSB.

You need a Restricted Radio Operator's license for each person using the SSB unit on Marine SSB frequencies.

Quote:

2. I want to use my radio for weather info and email. What is the best, most reliable, fastest service for the South Pacific? I dont mind spending a few hundred for Sailmail but if Winlink or something else is better I would be happy to save the cash.
They're pretty similar FWIK.

Quote:

3. How many countries restrict the use of this type of equiptment? How do you find out, do you have to do something special when you check in?
Check with Noonsite.com. The use of this equipment is governed by international agreement, and your licenses from the US should be accepted in most of the rest of the world. China, Libya, and a few other countries may have restrictions on the gear, but they're not likely to be destinations for a cruising sailboat.

Quote:

I am obviously a rookie radio guy. Any information concerning this type of equiptment on a cruise would be greatly appreciated.

Freesail99 08-28-2007 04:09 PM

You may want to have a look at the SSCA web site. The have something posted about a ssb just about everyday. A huge date base of knowledge.

Good Luck

k1vsk 08-28-2007 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearless (Post 185579)
I installed an ICOM 802 and Pactor III modem. Both my wife and I got our technition license and my wife got her general license. All this and I still have no idea how to use the radio, that is the next step. I have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me with.

1. Besides our Ham license and ship license do we need something for SSBor any other offical paperwork? The radio has both Ham and SSB.

2. I want to use my radio for weather info and email. What is the best, most reliable, fastest service for the South Pacific? I dont mind spending a few hundred for Sailmail but if Winlink or something else is better I would be happy to save the cash.

3. How many countries restrict the use of this type of equiptment? How do you find out, do you have to do something special when you check in?

I am obviously a rookie radio guy. Any information concerning this type of equiptment on a cruise would be greatly appreciated.

The technician license does not give you the privileges for HF so only your wife can operate the radio on the ham bands. No countries prohibit HF ssb equipment per se, however, not all countries allow recipricol licensing so your wife may not legally operate in those areas unless she obtains the necessary license which, in some countries, requires passing their test.

Fearless 08-28-2007 07:22 PM

k1vsk,
You said "The technician license does not give you the privileges for HF so only your wife can operate the radio on the ham bands.".

As I understand it if she is the controll operator any lincensee can use those frequencies. Is this not correct?

sailingdog,
I suspect the services are about the same but as I have not tried any of them. I am interested to know if anyone feels one is better (more available, easier to use, more reliable, etc.) then another. Can you get all you need from the radio or do most people also use sat phones.

k1vsk 08-28-2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearless (Post 185681)
k1vsk,
As I understand it if she is the controll operator any lincensee can use those frequencies. Is this not correct?

That is correct albeit impractical unless both of you are "radio-ing" vs. sailing. Hope I didn't sound too picky and certainly no one would ever know but just wanted to provide accurate info FWIW.

speciald 08-28-2007 09:21 PM

Winlink is basically the same as Sailmail except that it is free. Ocens.net can also be used on SSB.

rewell6 08-28-2007 11:14 PM

Winlink (free) and Sailmail (over $200/year last I read somewhere) are the same, except you can't conduct a for profit business on HAM.

Someone please put together the correct info and have CD make it a sticky. please, please

Someone who actually knows that is. This is one of the diffucult things to learn and get through our thick skulls. Somebody that knows has licenses for both and has the time have CD make it your thread and lock it where only you can make changes. We can create a new thread for a FAQ to put in there.

The question about HAM's and SSB are always coming up and in every forum you look in.

sailingdog 08-28-2007 11:38 PM

The FCC requires you to have a Ship's Station License and a Restricted Radio Operator's License if you have an SSB aboard or if you have a VHF aboard and communicate with foreign stations.

The FCC requires you to have a Ham license, better than Technician class, for using the Ham frequencies, but doesn't require a Ship's Station License for the Ham radio.

The SSB or Ham radio equipment must be type accepted.

RRO and SS licenses are not required for domestic use VHF, EPIRB, or RADAR.

EPIRBs now should be 406 MHz units, rather than the older 121.5/243 MHz units, as the older units are being phased out. The EPIRB needs to be registered with NOAA. GPIRBs are better than EPIRBs, since they have an integrated GPS and can help localize your position when triggered.

Please note: EPIRBs are registered to vessels, PLBs are registered to individuals.

Mobile Maritime Service Identifiers are required for the new DSC radios, as well as SSB and EPIRBs. If you only have a DSC-equipped VHF, you can get your MMSI from BoatUS, SeaTow or MariTel.

If you have an MMSI issued by one of the above, and get an EPIRB or SSB, you will need to get a new MMSI from the FCC, along with a Ship's Station License and RRO License in the case of an SSB.

If you have an EPIRB or DSC-capable VHF or SSB radio... please connect it to a GPS's NMEA 0183 output.

k1vsk 08-29-2007 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 185834)
The FCC requires you to have a Ham license, better than Technician class, for using the Ham frequencies, but doesn't require a Ship's Station License for the Ham radio.

The SSB or Ham radio equipment must be type accepted.

.


Good idea about developing a FAQ on this topic to ensure accurate and factual info for such a frequently asked question.

E.G. - "Ham equipment must be type-accepted" is true ONLY if it is used on marine frequencies. Similarly, the statement about "requires you to have a ham license better than Technician class" is true ONLY for frequencies below 30MHz.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012