Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-28-2007

Fearless is on a distinguished road
What is best for a Ham operator in reguards to email.

I installed an ICOM 802 and Pactor III modem. Both my wife and I got our technition license and my wife got her general license. All this and I still have no idea how to use the radio, that is the next step. I have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me with.

1. Besides our Ham license and ship license do we need something for SSBor any other offical paperwork? The radio has both Ham and SSB.

2. I want to use my radio for weather info and email. What is the best, most reliable, fastest service for the South Pacific? I dont mind spending a few hundred for Sailmail but if Winlink or something else is better I would be happy to save the cash.

3. How many countries restrict the use of this type of equiptment? How do you find out, do you have to do something special when you check in?

I am obviously a rookie radio guy. Any information concerning this type of equiptment on a cruise would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
I installed an ICOM 802 and Pactor III modem. Both my wife and I got our technition license and my wife got her general license. All this and I still have no idea how to use the radio, that is the next step. I have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me with.

1. Besides our Ham license and ship license do we need something for SSBor any other offical paperwork? The radio has both Ham and SSB.
You need a Restricted Radio Operator's license for each person using the SSB unit on Marine SSB frequencies.

Quote:
2. I want to use my radio for weather info and email. What is the best, most reliable, fastest service for the South Pacific? I dont mind spending a few hundred for Sailmail but if Winlink or something else is better I would be happy to save the cash.
They're pretty similar FWIK.

Quote:
3. How many countries restrict the use of this type of equiptment? How do you find out, do you have to do something special when you check in?
Check with Noonsite.com. The use of this equipment is governed by international agreement, and your licenses from the US should be accepted in most of the rest of the world. China, Libya, and a few other countries may have restrictions on the gear, but they're not likely to be destinations for a cruising sailboat.

Quote:
I am obviously a rookie radio guy. Any information concerning this type of equiptment on a cruise would be greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-28-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
You may want to have a look at the SSCA web site. The have something posted about a ssb just about everyday. A huge date base of knowledge.

Good Luck
Old 08-28-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:

The technician license does not give you the privileges for HF so only your wife can operate the radio on the ham bands. No countries prohibit HF ssb equipment per se, however, not all countries allow recipricol licensing so your wife may not legally operate in those areas unless she obtains the necessary license which, in some countries, requires passing their test.
Old 08-28-2007

Fearless is on a distinguished road
k1vsk,
You said "The technician license does not give you the privileges for HF so only your wife can operate the radio on the ham bands.".

As I understand it if she is the controll operator any lincensee can use those frequencies. Is this not correct?

sailingdog,
I suspect the services are about the same but as I have not tried any of them. I am interested to know if anyone feels one is better (more available, easier to use, more reliable, etc.) then another. Can you get all you need from the radio or do most people also use sat phones.
Old 08-28-2007

Quote:
k1vsk,
As I understand it if she is the controll operator any lincensee can use those frequencies. Is this not correct?
That is correct albeit impractical unless both of you are "radio-ing" vs. sailing. Hope I didn't sound too picky and certainly no one would ever know but just wanted to provide accurate info FWIW.
Old 08-28-2007
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Winlink is basically the same as Sailmail except that it is free. Ocens.net can also be used on SSB.
Old 08-28-2007

rewell6 is on a distinguished road
Winlink (free) and Sailmail (over $200/year last I read somewhere) are the same, except you can't conduct a for profit business on HAM.

Someone please put together the correct info and have CD make it a sticky. please, please

Someone who actually knows that is. This is one of the diffucult things to learn and get through our thick skulls. Somebody that knows has licenses for both and has the time have CD make it your thread and lock it where only you can make changes. We can create a new thread for a FAQ to put in there.

The question about HAM's and SSB are always coming up and in every forum you look in.
Old 08-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The FCC requires you to have a Ship's Station License and a Restricted Radio Operator's License if you have an SSB aboard or if you have a VHF aboard and communicate with foreign stations.

The FCC requires you to have a Ham license, better than Technician class, for using the Ham frequencies, but doesn't require a Ship's Station License for the Ham radio.

The SSB or Ham radio equipment must be type accepted.

RRO and SS licenses are not required for domestic use VHF, EPIRB, or RADAR.

EPIRBs now should be 406 MHz units, rather than the older 121.5/243 MHz units, as the older units are being phased out. The EPIRB needs to be registered with NOAA. GPIRBs are better than EPIRBs, since they have an integrated GPS and can help localize your position when triggered.

Please note: EPIRBs are registered to vessels, PLBs are registered to individuals.

Mobile Maritime Service Identifiers are required for the new DSC radios, as well as SSB and EPIRBs. If you only have a DSC-equipped VHF, you can get your MMSI from BoatUS, SeaTow or MariTel.

If you have an MMSI issued by one of the above, and get an EPIRB or SSB, you will need to get a new MMSI from the FCC, along with a Ship's Station License and RRO License in the case of an SSB.

If you have an EPIRB or DSC-capable VHF or SSB radio... please connect it to a GPS's NMEA 0183 output.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 08-28-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-29-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The FCC requires you to have a Ham license, better than Technician class, for using the Ham frequencies, but doesn't require a Ship's Station License for the Ham radio.

The SSB or Ham radio equipment must be type accepted.

Good idea about developing a FAQ on this topic to ensure accurate and factual info for such a frequently asked question.

E.G. - "Ham equipment must be type-accepted" is true ONLY if it is used on marine frequencies. Similarly, the statement about "requires you to have a ham license better than Technician class" is true ONLY for frequencies below 30MHz.