Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-30-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
How much of a propane smell?

When we use our stove/oven we get a slight aroma of propane in the air while it's going (the entire time). I'm assuming this is normal, but I just wanted to double check...?
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Labatt-

I don't think you should be getting the propane odor if the burner is working properly. Mercaptan, the odorant used in the propane, should burn off in the combustion of the propane. Smelling it at the initial start is normal, since some propane is probably escaping when you go to light the stove. I would check the connections in the stove and gas lines for a possible leak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-30-2007

LoveAndLuck is on a distinguished road
Propane smell

I am a live aboard and have been since March of 2007. While I am no authority, I think if you smell propane there could be a problem. They put in the smell for a reason. I talked with a person that was in our marina in Delaware recently that was a boat recovery person. He was headed to Norfolk (in mid-August) to work on an Endeavor 42 that exploded as the propane leaked into the boat and was ignited. The owner was badly burned. The next day I verified my outboard tanks worked properly, my shut-off solenoid worked and the tank compartment drain was not clogged.

I would verify all is ok.

Good luck does not happen by accident!

Bob Figgs
S/V Love and Luck (It's a Buffet song)
Old 08-30-2007

devildad is on a distinguished road
If you can smell it and there is any flame or spark, get off the boat. I would check the entire gas line for any sign of stress. You should never smell anything when the flame is on.
Old 08-31-2007

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Use soapy water to check for leaks.

A hand-operated bilge pump, bellows type, is ideal for purging the bilge of gases.

A gas detector is not expensive.
Old 08-31-2007

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
I have used my burners often, this summer, with no smell.
I have also used the oven, 2-3 times, and there has been a little propane odor (or some type of heat odor) for the entire 20-30minutes that the oven was on. If this was not normal, and I did have a leak in the oven burner hose, for example, I would certainly think that it would have caught fire / burned up the leaking propane during the 30 minutes that the real burner flame was on?????

I am not talking about smelling a strong p[ropane odor in the oven, but never having used a propane oven before I thought there must be a slight smell, due to heating the confined space of the oven, or something like that.

To others - please have your own checked and don't rely on my logic, as I would not want someone to blow up, because I said mine did the same thing!!

I know my solenoid works fine, as I have tried shutting it off while using the burners, and my tank is in an approved container in the cockpit.
Old 08-31-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
labatt,
Our 3-burner LPG stove with oven, never emits the smell one typically detects when opening the valve of an untapped cylinder. As was mentioned, a very slight odor may exist for a second or two before igniting the burner - but VERY slight. During use, no smell should exist.

Similarly with our LPG, on demand hot water heater - no odors. In addition to typical solenoid switches at the valves in exterior tank lockers, ABYC codes require all appliances (and separate burners) to have integrated safety shutoff devices on gas lines, engineered to cut off gas flow if no flame exists. Electronic ignitors are also required - no open pilot flames are allowed.

It may be possible that one of your burner's safety valves is defective, therefore it emits gas when another is in use.

A propane sniffer is also a smart accessory - which should send an alarm if propane is detected in the bilge areas - where a leak would allow it to migrate to - being heavier than air.

I would suspect you have a leak at an appliance, fitting or tubing line.
Old 08-31-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Chris,
I agree with the comments above, once it's lit you should not smell propane at all. I would not use the unit until you find the leak!
Old 08-31-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Figures... we're leaving today for 6 days off on the boat...
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 08-31-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Could be something as simple as a burner valve not closing properly. See if an odor is present from one of the off burners, while another is lit.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.