SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

westerbeke 44B

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Rockter 
#1 ·
In addition to the Yanmar 3jh4e, posted earlier, I'm thinking about the westerbeke 44B to repower my CSY 33. Price and size are fairly comparable and I thought the 44B might be a better choice because it has four cylinders. But I would like to know the opinion of anyone out there who is familiar with the 44B.

#2 ·
I have a Westerbeke W52 from the '80s that I am going to rebuild (probably just a top end rebuild) this winter. I am generally happy with its Perkins-like construction. I feel as a generality that big, heavy and slow-turning are best for cruising boats, but that's not always desirable in a smaller cruiser and not at all in a racer. It depends on use: I have a motorsailer; hence, I want a diesel like the kind found in a truck, not a Jetta.

#4 ·
I have a 44B Four

I have a 2003 44B Four and by far it has been the most reliable, clean burning, smooth running and trouble free diesel I have ever owned. It is a Mitsubishi block marinized by Westerbeke and it is very, very smooth and quiet. So far she has roughly 2700 hours on her with only a solenoid failure and a H20 pump re-build (she's done the ditch from Maine to Fla twice). If your choice is between any 3 cylinder and the 44B Four there is NO choice! The 44B Four is a great engine but may be a little over kill for a 33 footer. I have mine in a CS-36 weighing roughly 17,500 loaded and I have ample power with tons of reserve to meet any current head on. If you were comparing a four cyl Yanmar to a 4 cyl Westerbeke it would be a tougher choice. Go for the four cyl you won;t be dissapointed...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.