Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cam-

Considering the amount of road traffic that crosses the borders, I wouldnt' be surprised if the laws regarding wide-loads in Canada are relatively close to those in the US...

I wasn't aware the boat was in NB. Hmm...that makes things a bit more difficult.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2007

rewell6 is on a distinguished road
You could max out the tow capacity, but if you burn it out figure on $2k+ for a tranny repair. If you still must make sure to get a tranny temp guage and don't push it. The hilly, twisty road will make the temp climb like crazy.

Found this for BC
Maximum trailer width: 2.6 meters (8 feet 5 inches)
Maximum trailer height: 4.15 meters (13 feet 6 inches)
Maximum trailer length: 12.5 meters (41 feet)
Vehicle combinations permitted? Yes, up to 2 vehicles
Maximum combined length: 20 meters (66 feet)

So you will still be overwide. If you get pulled over without a permit, you could get fined and/or towed. And towing that wide on a country road with hills and curves will be very stressful. It's just not worth it.
Old 09-01-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
If your willing to pay $1800.00 to move the boat, what the hell does winter storage cost ?
Old 09-01-2007
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
When I found my Bristol 32, my dad and I took a trailer he built, removed the center section, laid a 2"x12" timber on top of the axles, along the centerline. The trailer was huge by itself, plus nearly 11,000lbs for the boat. With the keel resting on the board on top of the axle, that put it about 8 inches off the road. We then placed crossties under the hull with smaller timbers as shims. When properly tied down she was very secure. This whole deal was pulled by a '92 3/4 ton Dodge Ram with automatic (overdrive locked out, naturally) at speeds up to 60mph. Towed in traffic, on interstate, and backroads (roughly 30 miles). No problems. The load was not easily upset, even when hit by brisk winds (said to be gusts of 20 knots on local news) from an approaching storm coming in from the gulf. It felt much more stable than, well, ever been in a school bus when it runs up over a curb when turning? Feels like it'll tip over at any moment, right? The boat never got anywhere close to that. Just be sure to tie it down well and plan for braking.
Old 09-02-2007

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
Freesail - I paid $1800 to get it home, when I bought it. Now, winter yard storage is only $300, but they probably don't have room for me - small, crowded yard. So I am looking at other options. Like moving it a few miles, and still store / cover it outside, or move it a couple hundered miles, and be able to work on it indoors in the winter.
Old 09-02-2007

Tree is on a distinguished road
There has been a lot of great thought shared by everyone so far. I'd like to add my two cents... perhaps a slightly different perspective.

I have a 27' Bristol. She weighs in with trailor and gear right around that 10,500 lb mark. I pull her home every winter. The trip is close to a hundred miles, half of which is 4 lane interstate type roads and the other half is a very windy two lane road. There are a few fairly steep hills but no mountain passes.

I have built a set of support "A" frames that the mast lies in when hauling that puts the mast right above the bow pulpit and pushpit. (helpful when tarping to keep the snow off!) I end up at needing a clearence of 11 feet 10 inches. All of the overpasses around here are over 14 feet.... most are 16.....

What you have to watch out for are older roads and railroad bridges. They could be much lower.

I pull with a '01 chevy 2500 4x4 with the big 8 cyl and standard tranny.

Other than pretty poor gas milage when towing, it pulls very very well and you have to remind yourself it's there!

Now, your boat is going to be higher and wider. As said before, you will need wide load permits and chase cars.... perhaps you have a large family?

But the most important thing I think needing to be added is that having your boat near and in a covered place where you can work on it is a huge... huge..... did I remember to say HUGE ! benefit!!!!!!!!!!! Your boat will love you for it. It may be a significant investment to get a trailor set up at first...... but over the years, it will pay off in peace of mind, ability to do work yourself, and then.... there is the payoff of less wear and tear on the boat since it is stored inside! Your maintanence will be less and things will last longer!

I say go for it!
Old 09-02-2007

I do appreciate all of the great advice. It would not be a problem to have a chase vehicle.

Tree- Is your Bristol on a flatbed / cradle type arrangement, or does the keel sit lower to the ground (ie drop axles, "true" boat trailer) ??

And yes, working on it in the winter would be a big benefit to me. Boat is a 1978 Seafarer 30. This is my first season with it, and I have used it alot. No major issues, but I do have a deck leak or 2, and it would be great too be able to rebed hardware, portlights, etc. It has a full fiberglass headliner, so I currently have leaks that appear in about 2 spots. I would also like to take out, and refinish some of the interior teak.
It has a Yanmar 2gm, that runs well, but at a 1982 it does have some blue black smoke when reved high (too high) for brief periods. The engine and engine compartment floor are also very dirty. My brother is a mechanic, so the chance to pull the motor and do a partial (or more) rebuild and clean / repaint would be a definite bonus.
The electrical should be cleaned up, as well.
Old 09-02-2007

My set up is a trailor with adjustable pads that was made to haul boats up to 30 ft in length.

I ran into a guy this summer who pulled a Cat 270 with a three axel trailer all the way from N. California to Valdez Ak and back.... now, talk about hills and curves!
Old 09-02-2007

Here, let me try this

Old 09-02-2007

Tree - Your keel is probably only a foot off the ground, whereas using a flatbed with a cradle on top, would put my keel about 30" off the ground. I am wondering how much this would affect the trailer behaviour.