Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-03-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"They just don't make it cheap, easy, or simple. Add in the value of time and effort, the cost of getting certified...And of course, time and effort to shower or wash down, dry towels, change clothes, all that other good stuff that stops casual sailors from just hopping under the boat. And if there's a diver in the anchorage giving seasonal plans, sometimes it can be reasonable to just pay the diver. )
This is why I can make a living. Hull cleaning ain't rocket science, but it is something most people are unable (or unwilling) to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"(Remember now, I get an agent's fee for whatever business this sends to you. < G > )
The check is in the mail.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Fast...well I guess I finally found something to disagree with you on!
For the record...I have my Padi certification and so know the issues and the coursework. I see no reason why anyone with decent swimming skills should not be able to use a hookah for shallow surface diving. If there were real health and safety issues those things would be outlawed and the manufacturer's would be in bankruptcy from all the lawsuits.
Old 09-03-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Cam, if you'd seen some of the nonsense suits in the SCUBA industry lately (ongoing for years, not just recent) and the "Oh, our insurance requires us to" BS given out at so many dive shops...it ain't pretty.

Brownie's may have a nice boilerplate in their warranty or sale papers, or be avoiding liability the same way that SCUBA manufacturers do when uncertified divers get hold of tanks and gear. If they are supplying enough air pressure to breath ten feet under--they are supplying enough to blow out a lung. Liability is a different issue from having the sense to check something out before using it.

"I have my Padi certification" What, only one?! No offense meant, but doesn't that mean you are certified for fresh water lakes and pools with gentle sloping entries, only in the daytime and months without an "R" or something?

Surely you got multiple certifications, at least to the "Open Water" level?
Old 09-03-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Fast...well I guess I finally found something to disagree with you on!
For the record...I have my Padi certification and so know the issues and the coursework. I see no reason why anyone with decent swimming skills should not be able to use a hookah for shallow surface diving. If there were real health and safety issues those things would be outlawed and the manufacturer's would be in bankruptcy from all the lawsuits.
You can embolize in very shallow water using compressed air. I think anybody considering diving with it should be aware of the dangers and know how to avoid them. This is the only reason I endorse PADI or NAUI training.
Old 09-03-2007

deepblueme is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the idea guys!!!

I am going to sit and write a PADI hull/prop cleaning speciality tonight!!!!!
I need somemore boat money.

Scott
OWSI 28314
Old 09-03-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
HS...yeah I get your point about the "racket". I have open water and actually really enjoyed the course and would like very much to take additional courses to learn the stuff you need to learn for doing night dives, deep dives, cave dives etc.
The only thing I really object to is that they are essentially a monopoly. I like choices.

Fast...The quality mfrs. like Brownie's have on line courses to learn the way to do it right and the dangers. Here's their users manual:
http://thirdlung.com/pdf/2003%20Elec...m%20Manual.pdf
Old 09-03-2007

rperret is on a distinguished road
All

As always, thanks for the sage advice here. I've thought of taking a diving course of sorts - my son is a very good swimmer (swim team, etc.) and he's expressed interest in diving.

The paperbag over the prop idea is interesting though - i wonder if placing that on would do any good...

Rick
Old 09-03-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Dunno. Of course, if you fired up the prop and shredded the bag off within 12 miles of shore it would be a $10,000 MARPOL violation for littering.< G >
Old 09-03-2007

groundhog is on a distinguished road
I wish I had read this post the other day...

Went to my boat armed with a wire brush. Period. I found an old diving mask on board and used that.

Round 1: Go down, bump around, scary. Finally find the prop. Looks like a monster. Grab it with my bare hands. Hands get bit, but I keep going. It's full of barnacles. I just had the boat out in June.
I lost round 1.

Round 2: Try again same as above. Wire brush just doesn't seem to bother the barnacles much. More barnacle bites.
I lost round 2 too.

I would strongly suggest the diving mask. It is very hard to see even with the mask in the dark green water. Do it on a sunny day and you will be able to see the prop if you get your head about 6-12 inches from the prop. You need to see it to get the little barnacles. You will miss a bunch of them if you can't see properly.

Round 3: After a couple of phone calls, someone suggested a paint scraper. I didn't have a paint scraper. I went down below and looked around. I found.......
An 18 inch pry bar. The kind you pull nails out with and stuff. It has like a 1-2 inch sharpened flat end. Tie the rope through the hole.

The barnacles came off in sheets. Also, your hand is far enough off the work area, that you don't get bit from the barnacles much.

I won round 3.

Astounding increase in engine performance.
Old 09-03-2007

groundhog is on a distinguished road
Oh,
Walked around all weekend with most of my fingers taped up. Got lots of comments.
gh