Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-04-2007

mundi is on a distinguished road
Vertical slide motor bracket?

Hi,

I'm trying to mount an 8 hp, 2-stroke Tohatsu outboard on my transom. The boat is a Catri 24 folding trimaran. The rudder has a horizontal hydrofoil, and the rudder can kickup if it hits an obstruction. It that happened, the hydrofoil would get eaten by the prop with a standard motor bracket, such as those by Garelick or Fulton.

I want to find a vertically sliding motor bracket, not the parallel-o-gram type that swings *back* when it is put in the down position.

Does anyone know of a vertical sliding motor bracket?

Thanks,
/John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Just a thought; can you mount the outboard somewhere else, like on one of the amas, that would put it out of the way of the rudder / foil?
Old 09-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
As a trimaran sailor, one of the few here, I think you'd be better off not mounting the motor on the transom. A transom mounted motor is going to have more problems with cavitation and not staying submerged due to the motion of the boat. I would recommend that you mount it on a sled, attached to the side of the main hull of the ama crossbeam if at all possible.

If you have questions, let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-08-2008

Thanks SailingDog and CapnHand.

Wouldn't the sled have the same issues of not staying submerged?

I'd have to check to see if the folding action would permit such a sled. I fold prior to docking in my slip.
Old 10-08-2008

Hey Leonard,

I did not find any commercial products that fit my needs, so DIY is the way to go. I found two other boats that had photos of sliding mounts, of which I only kept one photo. However, it is a horizontal slide on a boat with no transom, not quite the right thing.
s309.photobucket.com/albums/kk396/torrmundi/?action=view&current=F-boatCheekeeMonkeyslidingmotormoun.jpg
You certainly can use sail tracks and cars, such as those from Harken or Ronstan. But that is pretty expensive. Or you could make a custom stainless tubing design with nylon slides. I'm not sure if that would actually be any cheaper!

Either way, you probably want to include stainless steel springs to reduce the gravity load. It should also include a locking feature to keep the motor in the up or down position. A pin through the track may work for some installations, but not mine. I can't easily reach back and down over the stern. A rope system with clam cleats might also work.
Please tell me if you make any progress on this - I've not yet made a workable solution. Here's my transom, with my current engine mount upon the rudder.
s309.photobucket.com/albums/kk396/torrmundi/?action=view&current=TransomDetails03.jpg

Note that if I use a standard mount like this:
s309.photobucket.com/albums/kk396/torrmundi/?action=view&current=Mount.gif
then the action swings the engine out away from the transom in the operating position and if my rudder then kicks up, the horizontal foil with get chewed by the prop. That's why I need a vertical track arrangement.

/John
ps - I don't have the account type that allows PM's, so I'm posting this as a thread reply. The photos are viewable by pasting the links into your browser. I don't have enough Sailnet posts to enable hyperlinks yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal30
Howzit Mundi,
Just wondering if you ever came across a sliding bracket for your outboard. Looking for the same type set-up for my boat (vertical or up/down movement). Please if you had any luck or know more let me know. Pics would be a help too. We have someone that could manufature a mount, but need some ideas.
Mahalo,
Leonard
Old 10-08-2008

I forgot this device by Plastimo - it is a vertical slide, but won't work for me due to the depth of the device. I'm not sure the vertical travel is enough, either, but they have two rail lengths: 400mm and 600mm. It is model number 17619.

Go to plastimo.com, and select Power Boating > Motor Brackets > Standard Motor Bracket

/Mundi
Old 10-09-2008

resdog is on a distinguished road
I know exactly what you're talking about. A gentleman at my marina has one on a Rhodes that slides up and down vertically. The mount is big and bulky and very ugly if you ask me. But I will see if I can find out the mfg this weekend.
Old 10-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
An outboard sled or bucket generally doesn't have the cavitation problems of a transom mounted outboard for two reasons. One, it isn't as far aft...so it doesn't rise and drop as far as the transom mounted ones do. Two, the bucket or sled will usually allow the engine to drop down further into the water than a transom mount generally will, and as such will help keep the prop submersed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundi View Post
Thanks SailingDog and CapnHand.

Wouldn't the sled have the same issues of not staying submerged?

I'd have to check to see if the folding action would permit such a sled. I fold prior to docking in my slip.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-15-2009
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road
Vertical Engine Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by resdog View Post
I know exactly what you're talking about. A gentleman at my marina has one on a Rhodes that slides up and down vertically. The mount is big and bulky and very ugly if you ask me. But I will see if I can find out the mfg this weekend.
Where you able to locate the information for the slide you referred too? If so please contact me with the information.

Thanks,

Pat Ross
Old 01-20-2009

resdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdi View Post
Where you able to locate the information for the slide you referred too? If so please contact me with the information.

Thanks,

Pat Ross

I looked all over that mount for a mfg's mark and found nothing. It may be something that Rhodes builds. I'll see the owner this weekend and ask him if he installed it or if it came with the boat. You might try doing a search on Rhodes 22. Maybe it will show up.

I did a little searching and found out the mfg of the Rhodes 22 is General Boat in N. Carolina. Here are a couple of links to the outboard mount.

http://www.rhodes22.com/contacting_g...ats_small.html

General Boats

give GB a call

Last edited by resdog; 01-20-2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: additional information