Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-05-2007

Tree is on a distinguished road
Compass replacement

I have decided that it is time to replace or rebuild my bulkhead mounted compass in my older 27 footer. The compass is many years old and it is very difficult to use due to crazing and discoloration of the "bubble" lens.

What I have now is a Gemini (no longer made nor supported by any active company that I am aware of) and has the 3 to 4 inch card (5 inch hole).

I've investigated having it rebuilt.... parts are still available and estimates have been around $100 and up. After adding the cost of shipping it to a qualified repair / rebuild station, I'm very close to the cost of a new Plastimo Contest 101 (right here at SailNet) or a Richie Sr-2 at Defender.

The Plastimo comes closest to fitting into the existing hole, the Richie would require making the hole a bit smaller (I've done enough West System work and I have the materials that that job wouldn't be too difficult). Both of these compasses will work on my bulkhead that has a 15 degree cant. Most of the others would require manufacturing a special mounting plate.

Anyone with personal experience with either of these compasses have an opinion on their quality, ease of use or instalation care to share?

Or anyone who might have suggestions as to other options I should consider?

I did do a search on this list and found a thread about two years old discussing the Plastimo a bit. If the person who was thinking about buying the Contest 101 did infact purchase and install, what do you think.

And last but not least, the 101 has the ability to be read in the cabin. This would seem to be an advantage... but is it in practical use? (at night on a hook.... maybe knowing which way the wind is blowing or the current is swinging your boat? or are there other practical advantages?)

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I just had my 5 inch 30 year old glass domed compass rebuilt, it looks and works like new. It really looks like it is brand new out of the box. If you care to know who I used send me a pm.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I have the Plastimo Contest 101 on my boat, and do like it. The fact that it can be read in the cabin as well as outside is a bonus. It was the stock compass on my boat... so it isn't my thread that you were reading.

One thing I have found it useful for is for checking on the heading of the boat when at anchor—to see if it has swung—and to keep an eye on a newbie helmsperson while you're down below.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-05-2007

Rockter will become famous soon enough
I can speak well of the Ritchie.
Old 09-05-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I'd go for the Plastimo. Red lights good! (be sure to get a black or white card...white light on the other colors!)
Old 09-05-2007

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Jesse Boyce originally had the Plastimo Contest 101. It was a good compass but the globe started to show signs of age and she got a good air bubble so it was time to replace it. My first choice was a Rule Saturn Duel Read compass but when I got it, I found it was meant to be mounted on a bulkhead with a 15 degree angle. Well, it was a friend’s birthday so he got a nice new compass for his boat! I chose again, a Ritchie Navigator BN 202 for a vertical bulkhead mount which is identical to the old Ritchie Navigator 2000 that I mounted on my 22, Olde Blue back in the late 80’s Well lit, red card with large figures, very stable, duel read, good lubber lines, and an inclinometer built in. It’s very easy on the eyes, if not the wallet! You only get what you pay for in compasses.

PoCA

Last edited by pirateofcapeann; 09-06-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2007

Tree is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I'd go for the Plastimo. Red lights good! (be sure to get a black or white card...white light on the other colors!)

I've about decided to go with the plastimo.... Camaraderie, would you explain why the black card is better than a red card.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Red card with white numbers is hard to read under red light... black card with white numbers, or white card with black numbers is easy to read under red light. Red light will help preserve your night vision... white light can interfere with it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-12-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Tree...the red card comes with a GREEN or white night light. Your vision will be better with red illumination.
Old 09-12-2007

Valdensule is on a distinguished road
Gemini Dream

I have a Gemini on my Helms. I too have crazing which drives me crazy, I do love the light. Mine is a bulkhead mounted unit only visable on the bulkhead side. I would love info on all around view models that I could see from inside and out. I was not aware of the mounting angle issue, so thanks there.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.